We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

9 posts
Save Topic
best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Hi

Have been researching best way to get from JFK to Manhattan with bags and the shuttle bus seems the most stress free option. Some shuttle buses have terrible reviews however therefore which is the best shuttle bus to use from JFK?

285 replies to this topic
New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

And the first "3 minute walk" at Jamaica is the time it takes to go down the elevator from the LIRR platform to the subway station. However, your directions are wrong -- you *cannot* change from the E to the D at Fifth Avenue; you can only make that change at SEVENTH Avenue. Also note that the change at Seventh AVenue is also a change of levels in the station

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Take the JFK AirTrain from the terminal to Jamaica.

Get the Long Island Rail Road from Jamaica to New York Penn Station.

Then either take a taxi or the subway uptown. You can get the 1 train inside Penn Station and you can get cabs outside Penn Station. It will cost less than $15.00 from Penn to your hotel (probably a little over $10.00 - $12.00)

Combined JFK AirTrain / LIRR ticket is $8.75 - you'll need to select "CityTicket" (valid weekends only). $5.00 + $3.75 in a combined ticket. So, for two people that is $17.50 plus a $12.50 taxi ride from Penn to the front door of your hotel = $30.00. There is your cost savings versus. a $65. - $70. taxi from JFK.

Long Island Rail Road trains depart Jamaica for New York Penn at 12:49AM, 1:00AM, 1:19AM, 1:42AM and 1:49AM on a Saturday overnight into Sunday morning.

Jamaica is a busy / staffed station. There are always uniformed MTA police at Jamaica - you can ask them any questions you may have. I have connected through Jamaica between the JFK AirTrain and the Long Island Rail Road at every hour of the overnight and have never felt uncomfortable in any way.

Jamaica is also where the Long Island Rail Road makes people transfer between diesel trains serving the non-electrified sections and Penn / Brooklyn. It is also where people change between trains going to Brooklyn and trains going to Penn (Manhattan) so it is always busy.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

I've personally used Go Airlnk Shuttle. They run 24/7. You can book online. They give a 10% discount if you do. It's goairlinkshuttle.com. It's not too bad because they give you this disclaimer that if you're the furthest away you're going to be dropped off last. But at 2am, I doubt you'll have a full van. It depends on the time of year. The prices are reasonable. I don't mess with subways at that time of night. And on weekends they do construction on subways... the detours can be insane to deal with.

Regards,

NYCScrivener

NYCscrivener.com

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Another first time poster writing with a favorable review of a company we all know is terrible.

Just FYI - the vans do not leave unless they're full. At 2:00AM, I'd be worried about spending most of the night at JFK Airport.

At least with the Long Island Rail Road, there are no construction diversions. Those trains are very reliable and you'll be in NYC within less than 20 minutes from the time that train leaves Jamaica. The trains are generally reliable and on schedule. The JFK AirTrain is frequent as well.

I would avoid GO AirLink especially at 2:00AM when there are few people around. Those vans are also dangerous - they're poorly maintained and you don't want to be in an accident in one of those old rust buckets.

Alajuela, Costa Rica
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

That's great info, thank you very much all of you.

The construction detours do sound a bit scary.

And the Airport-Jamaica-Penn-Taxi sounds like the hassle free way to go while saving a few dollars.

Now I have a couple of ways to get there, didn't want to loose time figuring how to get to my destiny while freezing at 2am when I should be resting : p

Thanks again, I might come back for more info if you don't mind. (Problem with "NY Travel info" is not that there' isn't enough, it is that there is way toooo much, sometime you just need for someone local to confirm your directions or tell you, "no, that's an error on GM you have to change at the seventh")

That would be a great forum topic if any local wants to open one: "Post you directions so we can confirm them" or something like that, but I guess it would be crazy busy : p

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

i have not heard resort-hoppa mentioned. have used it in spain and it was ok. any comments ?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

..if you opt for public transport, take note that to get to 84th and Amsterdam, the closest stop on the Uptown #1 subway you'd be taking from Penn Station would be the 86th Street stop.. not the 79th;-) Both stops are on Broadway so you'd simply need to walk East 1 block to Amsterdam.. it's just that 86th is closer:-)

FWIW, you can grab a cab at Penn Station.. exit at 8th Avenue for cabs heading uptown! Bottom line, see how you feel when you land, etc.. If you find you don't want to use public transport, a taxi shouldn't take long at all at that hour heading over the Triborough Bridge to the UWS;-) Enjoy!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Resort-hoppa?

I do not believe there is anything called Resort-hoppa in New York City.

I know there is a Heathrow Hoppa at London Heathrow but there isn't anything like that in New York either. We have the JFK AirTrain which connects the terminals with the A train at Howard Beach (that is one of the two branches) and it connects the terminals with Jamaica (that is the most popular branch for visitors). Jamaica is a large complex with the JFK AirTrain / Long Island Rail Road and subways.

Note that when coming from Manhattan (or Long Island City), you get off the E train at Sutphin / Archer / LIRR / JFK and you do not go to the last stop called Jamaica Center. You don't need to worry about this when you're coming from the airport - only when you're going back to the airport.

Alajuela, Costa Rica
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Hey, just wanted to say I'm in NY, the MoreFFmiles suggestion worked great.

The outside of the Jamaica station (platform where you grab the LIRR) was a little deserted at that time but we just stayed close to the information boot while waiting for the train.

Penn station is not a nice place at 2 am on a saturday, crazy people talking to walls, drunk guys falling down the stairs (true story) but it is crowded even at that time and you see cops walking around so you don't feel unsafe at all,

We grabbed a cab in Penn, it was exactly 11 bucks to our destination : )

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Welcome to NYC:-) Keep enjoyin'!

Reply to: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted