We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

9 posts
Save Topic
best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Hi

Have been researching best way to get from JFK to Manhattan with bags and the shuttle bus seems the most stress free option. Some shuttle buses have terrible reviews however therefore which is the best shuttle bus to use from JFK?

288 replies to this topic
Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

A really useful thread of information. In the following situation - what would be the best option:

Family of 4 with two children (11 and 8), with 4 large suitcases and hand luggage (start of 3 week trip to NY, Orlando and Toronto).

I am very keen to use public transport whilst in NY but feel that the journey from JFK into Manhattan after a long flight and with children might be a bit stressful.

Will a taxi that we pick up at the airport - fit us all in and our luggage?

When we went to LA a couple of years ago we used a private sedan car hire - think it cost around £80 - but it was worth it after a 11 hour flight. I booked it online direct with the company. Are there similar companies in NY?

Many thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

You'd be best to start your own thread.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

ACD80 - My pleasure - I'm very happy to help in any way I can.

DawnPeace - I can't really tell you what will be best for you as that is really a personal decision. It is not necessary to prebook. NYC Taxi's have minivans and Ford Escape SUV's. You simply tell the uniformed dispatcher at the taxi queue that you need a minivan or SUV. No extra charge for this.

Do not accept rides from the touts. You will be approached asking if you need a ride into Manhattan or if you need a taxi. Ignore them. Don't answer - just keep walking. Proceed to the well-marked taxi rank just outside the terminal and deal only with the uniformed dispatchers.

Fixed fare - figure about $70. with tip and toll. You can use your credit card in the taxi and you don't have to worry - it is totally safe and secure. I've used my credit cards in hundreds of taxi's without any difficulty at all.

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Thank you - will go by taxi - seems the most sensible option.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

I totally agree with this .......

Los Angeles
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
36. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

I took airtrain only when I had a a small carryon, not all subways have elevators and dragging a rolling suitcase on the stairs is no fun. Having said that, I took airtrain very early in the morning (around 6am) and I had an unconfortable experience with a homeless man inside the subway car. So I would not take the subway in the wee hours

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

What was the experience? Was it just the presence of a homeless person (which can happen at any hour) or did you have an altercation?

South Australia...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

We need to get to the Hudson waterfront, Jersey City side from JFK (and yes, know La Guardia is an easier bet but we are stuck with JFK). Any ideas on the best and cheapest way to do it?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Newark is actually the best option for a flight, not LGA.

It depends on where exactly you're going, but the cheapest reasonable way to do this would be one of the following:

1) If you're going to Newport or Grove Street station, take the AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica, and transfer to the Manhattan bound E train West 4th Street. Walk two blocks to the PATH station at 9th Street, and get on a Journal Square bound train to wherever you're going.

2) If you're going to Exchange Place station, take the AirTrain from JFK to Howard Beach, and transfer to a Manhattan bound A train to Chambers Street. Walk four blocks to the PATH station at World Trade Center, and get on a Newark bound train to Exchange Place.

In both cases, the AirTrain will cost $5 on a pay per ride Metrocard, the subway will cost $2.50 on a pay per ride Metrocard (or one swipe of an unlimited Metrocard) and the PATH fare will cost $2.25 on a pay per ride Metrocard. There is a $1 charge for the Metrocard itself.

Relevant maps:

www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html

Edited: 09 May 2013, 17:48
ENGLAND
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Hello we are arriving JFK tomorrow and travelling to upper west side manhatten. We get in about 1.45pm so could use public transport, there are 3 of us, what would be the best route if we chose this?

Reply to: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted