We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

9 posts
Save Topic
best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Hi

Have been researching best way to get from JFK to Manhattan with bags and the shuttle bus seems the most stress free option. Some shuttle buses have terrible reviews however therefore which is the best shuttle bus to use from JFK?

289 replies to this topic
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Whatever in the world you do - do *not* book a transfer via travel republic or any such website. These are "resellers" and all they do is give you a voucher you could have paid less for by purchasing on your own. It is nonrefundable. You get sent to whichever provider undercuts the others by the most. Then the actual drivers don't really want the vouchers because they'll get such a minuscule amount of money.

Shuttles are horrendous. They are dangerous. They also don't leave until completely full. In terms of the economics, they can't break even without every seat filled. It may take two hours to fill the shuttle, they don't care. They're not leaving until its full. They're not going to lose money transporting you.

Avoid the shuttles and avoid these third party resellers - it is bad news all around.

Taxi is $52.50 plus tolls and tip.

JFK AirTrain / LIRR is $12. per person each way (weekday off-peak - less on weekends) and its faster / safer / most reliable. Taxi's are readily available at New York Penn Station.

Also never accept rides from touts at JFK Airport. Ignore anybody asking you if you need a ride.

Alaska
4 posts
Save Reply
72. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

I have used Dial 7 several times for both JFK and Newark, my college daughter at Pace University always uses Dial 7 as she refuses to take trains with her luggage. The rest of the time she uses Subways unless the weather is really bad or its late at night, of course she's only 19, but loves New York. i call to make the reservations, and then she pays with a credit card. 212-777-7777. We also use it to book her friends when they go and visit her.

California
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
73. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Best way to East 46th St, between 1st and 2nd.

I will avoid the shuttles from reading the forum. However, I did not see much about NYC Airporter in the forum. Does it operate like a shuttle, ie, does not leave until full? Does the NYC Airporter go directly to Grand Central? If so, does it make sense to use the Airporter to Grand Central then walk to E. 46th and 2nd? Is there a better way (short of a taxi from JFK) for 2 people with luggage?

Thanks

74. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 13:35

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,351 posts
Save Reply
75. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

The recent reviews of the NYC Airporrter have been very bad, apparently their service is slipping. That's why you don't see them recommended much these days.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

NYC Airporter is also terrible - very unreliable

London, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

PLEASE AVOID THE COMPANY 'SUPER SHUTTLE'.

I paid for the journey before I left the UK, and then when I reached my destination in Manhattan the driver demanded payment again. I told him I paid and that it should say so on his computer but he said I hadn't and that he wouldn't give me my luggage without me paying. He had also done this to a German couple before me who had paid for the journey already and was made to pay again.

When I checked my emails I had definitely already paid, so the driver basically was scamming anyone not from the US or Canada. I wrote numerous emails to the company with the confirmation email AND a scan of the second payment the guy had taken and after the first email they ignored me. If they had refunded my payment, I would have assumed it was just a dodgy driver, however having sent around ten emails to them with no reply, I think it's probably just a dodgy company. Get a taxi, it's only 45 dollars plus tips and they are now all regulated so that they can't screw tourists over.

Nottingham, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
78. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Hi,

We will be arriving to JFK on the 3rd May at 11:50 and wanting to get to the comfort inn, Manhattan 42 west 35th street. I have now been out off the shuttle bus idea! So we are looking at public transport after ready the thread, it looks like I'm best to;

Get the air taint from JFK to Jamaica

Then the LIRR to Penn Staition

Is that right? After getting off at Penn station would we be best to walk or get a taxi? We will have two large suitcases and hand luggage.

Thanks.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,988 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

You can exit the LIRR concourse at Penn Station at 34th Street and 7th Avenue. Your hotel is on 35th Street, between 5th and 6th Avenues. So you're one short block (distance between streets) and one and one-half long blocks (distance between avenues) away from your hotel. It's certainly walkable or you can take a cab. If you start out and change your mind you can always hail a cab wherever you might be.

Nottingham, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
80. Re: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan

Thank you.

Reply to: best shuttle bus jfk to manhattan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted