We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airport for easiest drive to NY state

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which airport for easiest drive to NY state

Flying to NY end of June from UK to drive up to Wilmington NY State. Could fly to either Newark or JFK and will then pick up hire car (possibly day after arrival depending on arrival time relative to UK body clock)

advice please on best options for straightforward (relativey at least) drive out of NY ie best airport or best car pickup point as from other postings this might be cheaper than airport

Mentioned in this post
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airport for easiest drive to NY state

Picking up cars at the airport is always more expensive but it is right there. Others from the UK have reported that renting from an agency over there and arranging to pick up the car is far less expensive,

More importantly why are you going to Wilmington NY and at what time of the year--- I had never heard of it but it appears to be north of Lake Placid- do you have any idea how far that is ?

I don't think the airport matters but probably Newark would give you best access to Rte 87 which is the New York State thru way. From there good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,619 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airport for easiest drive to NY state

Newark is 10 minutes closer according to maps.google.com ;;) Pick whichever airport has the better price/time of flight or check prices of car rentals from both airports. What you might want to consider depending on what time of day you arrive is flying into Newark and staying in Jersey City the first night. There's an Avis counter at the Newport Centre Mall there (Westin and Courtyard hotels are there) that might save some money vs. renting at either of the airports.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Jersey City
Jersey City
New Jersey
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airport for easiest drive to NY state

Not sure why you want to fly into the New York City area to visit a town which is 300 miles and a 6.5 hour drive away. If possible, You might consider the following options:

1 - Flying directly into Boston(BOS) if possible from the UK, would put you an hour's drive closer to your final destination.

2 - Flying into Albany, N.Y(ALB)., even if it involved a change to a domestic flight, would put you within 2.5 hours of Wilmington.

Plenty of car rental options at both airports.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Albany
Albany
New York
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,847 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airport for easiest drive to NY state

Albany would be far preferable to flying into NYC for this. Car rental rates will be much lower and the drive will be shorter. As Hawkeye says, even Boston is preferable, as car rental rates will still be lower than in NYC and the drive across I-90 will be prettier and less congested than trying to drive up from Newark.

JFK is a bad idea for this route. You start by having to cross NYC diagonally, which puts you at risk of awful traffic. I remember one trip upstate which took me four hours: two hours TO GET OUT OF NYC and two to make it to my destination.

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airport for easiest drive to NY state

Newark Airport is actually much better for this.

Boston would also be good.

JFK is suboptimal for this.

Montreal would be excellent.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airport for easiest drive to NY state

If you don't need to be in New York then I would fly to Montreal. It's much closer.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which airport for easiest drive to NY state

As other posters have suggested, it may be best to not fly into the NY metro area. If you must fly into the NY metro area before embarking on the drive, you should definitely go via Newark. Putting aside the vagaries of traffic and hypothetical driving times, the route from Newark will be much simpler on much better roads.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,847 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which airport for easiest drive to NY state

No, no, you don't fly to Montreal. There are problems with taking rental cars across the US/Canadian border.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which airport for easiest drive to NY state

Jhwanderer,

I did this a few years back with no problem. We drove through upstate NY then to Toronto then back to New York. Maybe it is different for us Brits.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which airport for easiest drive to NY state

Thanks to everyone for all your thoughts which are very helpful. NYC the entry point to US purely because I have enough airmiles to get us there but not to Boston!

To answer bilmin09: Renting a house in Wilmington end of June - husband is keen on mountainbiking and hillwalking so plenty of opportunities for that in that area. Have previously visited New England so looking for somewhere similar but different if you know what i mean.

Will investigate cost of flying up to albany and car hire from there to see the difference. Had at one point in planning trip looked at flying to Burlington and picking up car there but cost of flights around $500 for 2 hence option to drive up and see some of the country at the same time.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
New England
New England
United States