We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boadway behind the scenes tour

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Boadway behind the scenes tour

We will be taking our nephew to see Wicked, probably sometime this spring.

My question is actually about the 'Behind the Emerald Curtain " tour.

From the description online, it appears that this is not exactly a backstage tour, but instead highlights a model of the show and lets you see costumes.

Our nephew is involved with his high school theater program but is more interested in the technical end, He would love a tour that showcases lighting ,sound, prop movement (and constructtion) and the like.

Does the Behind the Emerald Curtain tour get into any of these areas? if not, is there another tour that does? The only other one I've found is the Radio City tour which seems less technical than Wicked .

Your advice would be appreciated.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boadway behind the scenes tour

This tour won't be what he wants. I've heard the tour at Lincoln Center is terrific and there's a combo ticket for Lincoln Center and Rdio City tour.

Here's another idea

http://www.insidebroadwaytours.com/tours.html

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boadway behind the scenes tour

Here is another organization I have worked with that may have what you want. I arranged for our son's Boy Scout troop to do a Master Class for Spiderman. Please note that you will not be allowed to go backstage on one of the Broadway productions for a tour due to timing issues and insurance issues. Most of the behind the scenes tours are of HOW things work but not an actual demonstration of the things working. For example, the Spiderman workshop included a stage manager who brought the flying harness mechanisms. We did not see the harnesses in action until we saw the show with the rest of the audience. Moms

www.studentslive.net

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boadway behind the scenes tour

Thanks both for your responses.

NY Whiz, the Lincoln Center site has a video of the tour. It doesn't seem like what he would be interested in.

Moms travel, the workshops on the site you linked to sounded more promising, but it appears they need a group of 20.

So it doesn't seem we are going to find what we want. (which is sort of what I feared after my initial websearch).

At any rate, he will enjoy seeing Wicked, as well as the rest of our daytrip to Broadway .

Edited: 15 January 2012, 13:59
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,973 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boadway behind the scenes tour

I would contact LIncoln Center directly. Years ago I went with a school group on a tour where we did see many of the technical back stage features. It may have been special for us, but then again....

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boadway behind the scenes tour

Brook: I would contact Bryan at Students Live. Frequently they have groups who need a few extra people to complete a Master Class. I refer you to the Programs section on the website then go down the center of the page to "Best of Broadway" Interactive packages for Students, Scouts and Families. I have done the Wicked and Spiderman master classes. Both were excellent! The Spiderman master class was conducted by one of the stage managers from Spiderman. It is worth a try to give Bryan a call. Please tell him "Momstravel" from Tripadvisor sent you. He has read my reviews of the programs on this website before so he is familiar with my avatar on this site. Good luck! Moms

6. Re: Boadway behind the scenes tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2013, 10:23