We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From experience how long to get a Visa sorted

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
From experience how long to get a Visa sorted

Looks like we have to get a Visa arranged for my Son in law, can any one advise how long this takes ? on average

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From experience how long to get a Visa sorted

It's best to get advice on visas from the source itself, i.e. government websites rather than random strangers who might give you the wrong advice. But just to point you in the right direction, does he actually need a visa, or does he need an ESTA visa waiver?

The ESTA website is here:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Information on Visa is here:

http://www.travel.state.gov/

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From experience how long to get a Visa sorted

you could also try this

london.usembassy.gov/root/visa-wizard/pages/

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From experience how long to get a Visa sorted

It depends on the time of year, how busy the US Embassy is, and most important of all whether or not there are any queries about your son-in-law getting a visa!!!!

You probably know by now that it's pretty expensive! There is a a basic charge of $140 for an interview (which is charged whether or not you get a visa) and to get an interview you have to call an exorbitanly priced 090 phone line, and that one call will cost you about £25.

I made the phone call on 22nd December, the earliest appointment was 9th January, I waited 4 hours at the US Embassy before I was interviewed, they granted the visa on the spot and it arrived on13th January.

To give you some idea, I believe they were interviewing 300 people that day, and I bet that number goes up massively at peak times (like March thru August!!!!!). Also, my visa was a shoo-in (a certainty) with no possible queries, and I believe that many will require further information from the applicant and second interviews.

My advice is simple. If you need a visa, apply for it right now. The sooner you apply the sooner you will get it (or know that you can't) so why delay??????

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From experience how long to get a Visa sorted

Thanks MartyCR - concise info , I like that -

yes of course we will be contacting the right source, its is our intention first thing Monday AM. We have got all the paper work for Police certificate and photos to be endorsed by a Director friend tomorrow. Yep the cost , I am not happy with but hey its got to be done

'm not looking for advise from random strangers I know exactly what's needed to be done and where to get it, just trying to get some time-scales from others that have experienced.

Thanks Everyone

5. Re: From experience how long to get a Visa sorted

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2013, 10:18