We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staten Island Ferry

San Francisco
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Topic
Staten Island Ferry

Can you see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island from the Staten Island Ferry? If so, are they as close-up from the ferry as from a harbor tour boat?

Do I need to buy a ticket on the harbor cruise boat for the best view experience?

Mentioned in this post
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
35,877 Reviews
New York City, NY
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,427 Reviews
New York City, NY
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
18,667 Reviews
New York City, NY
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staten Island Ferry

you can see the Statue of Liberty from the the Staten Island ferry though it is at a distance ,

most tour boats ( circle line etc ) do a cruise past, though again not very close to see them very well .

if you really want to see these places the best way is to actually go http://www.statuecruises.com/ is the official ticket seller .

they will get you the closest to see and visit

Mentioned in this post
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
35,877 Reviews
New York City, NY
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
18,667 Reviews
New York City, NY
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
480 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staten Island Ferry

New York Water Taxi also offer a HOP ON HOP OFF ticket which gets you closer than the Staten Island ferry. But still think the ferry trip is worth doing! IMO one of the best freebies in world so go and enjoy it!

Mentioned in this post
New York Water Taxi
New York Water Taxi
1,972 Reviews
New York City, NY
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
18,667 Reviews
New York City, NY
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staten Island Ferry

The SI Ferry is a quick trip. All told, it takes about an hour RT. If you are in the city for a short time, this is a worthwhile way to say you saw it , without spending a whole bunch of time on it. We went at night and were not looking for Ellis Island. I don't you can see it from the ferry.

The view of lower Manhattan at night is magical from the ferry, though..and it's free. For me, I guess it would depend on how much time I had

Mentioned in this post
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,427 Reviews
New York City, NY
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staten Island Ferry

You can see both from the SI ferry but in the case of Ellis island you need to know what you are looking for and it is just an island with some ornate buildings on it. I still think that the official cruise even though you can't go into the statue is well worth the money and if you prebook you are only giving up a few more hours of your time. I find Ellis island one of the most interesting things to do in NYC.

Mentioned in this post
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,427 Reviews
New York City, NY
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,275 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staten Island Ferry

It is important to notice that the Staten Island Ferry is basically a commuter boat. If you do decide to go to sightsee, stay away from Rush Hour, when it, like subways will be packed.

Mentioned in this post
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
18,667 Reviews
New York City, NY
Tennessee
Level Contributor
181 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staten Island Ferry

Where in Manhattan does the Staten Island Ferry dock?? Does it run hourly or several times an hour?

Mentioned in this post
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
18,667 Reviews
New York City, NY
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staten Island Ferry

It docks at South Ferry which is at the southern tip of Manhattan. It runs hourly in the middle of the night, every 30 minutes during most of the day and more frequently during rush hours.

9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Staten Island Ferry

Public transit to ferry terminal/ take staten island ferry to see Statue of Liberty... ferry back

- Subway to Brooklyn, walk across Brooklyn Bridge

how do you get a subway to brooklyn from the south ferry station so that you walk back from brooklyn to manhattan via the bridge?

Mentioned in this post
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
35,877 Reviews
New York City, NY
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
17,023 Reviews
New York City, NY
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staten Island Ferry

You can catch

the R train from whitehall st/south ferry to Court st or

the 4 or 5 line from bowling green to Borough Hall

I have done both and found it a easy walk and well sign posted to the Brooklyn Bridge

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
17,023 Reviews
New York City, NY
texas
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staten Island Ferry

We did the SI ferry the first night we were there. I had to start my trip with seeing it, even from afar. But we had no doubt what we were seeing. Wish I could post a couple pics so you could see the distance.