We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Choice Affinia/Shelburne/ Lucerne or On the Ave

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Choice Affinia/Shelburne/ Lucerne or On the Ave

Hi all,

Trying to decide between 4 hotels. Dates March 11 - 15, 2012

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Here they are :

Lucerne ( UWS) : deluxe double rm. $230.00 per night

On the Ave ( UWS) 2 Queen bed suite : $225.00 per night

Shelburne ( Murray Hill) : Deluxe 2 bed studio : $209.00 per night.

Affinia Gardens : Jr. Suite w/ 2 beds : $225.00 per night

Not doing a lot of the regular tourist spots - going twice to theatres.

Spending one day mainly in Brooklyn( though not worried about being close)

Usually stay UWS - which we love - but maybe a change would be nice.

We ofen like the kitchen set up in case we want to bring back stuff( not big eaters and find most places we can't finish the meals. Also - might like breakie in room. But not deciding factor.

Will likely spend most of 1 day in Greenwich village( some fav places there)

How far away is the subway from the Shelburne? Used to using mainly broadway lines and transferring below ground - not much knowledge of Murray Hill area.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Choice Affinia/Shelburne/ Lucerne or On the Ave

We stayed at the Affinia Shelburne and found it very good . Comfy beds , modern , clean ,with helpful staff. ( $200 seems a good price for it as well ) rooms aren't to small either for New York standards .

The hotel is a short easy walk to Grand Central terminal ( about 5-10 mins ) so easy to get to anywhere in the city you need to get to.

It is an easy walk to Broadway and Times Square along 42nd st. or you can catch the subway shuttle.

It is a quieter more residential area with some good cafes and restaurants within walking distance.

Edited: 16 January 2012, 03:45
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,973 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Choice Affinia/Shelburne/ Lucerne or On the Ave

If you usually stay on the uws and use the Beacon, you'll likely be disappointed with Lucerne or OTA. Have you looked at photos on oyster.com?

With 2 shows, one day in the village and another in Brooklyn, why not either stay in midtown west near theaters or downtown? Hampton Inn Times Square North has. 2 queens and breakfast on booking.com fully cancelable for ~$200/night. If you really need the kitchenette, Blakely hotel would work. Otherwise, for a change, I'd stay downtown. mulberry hotel has 2 queens within budget.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Choice Affinia/Shelburne/ Lucerne or On the Ave

Thanks for the quick and informative responses.

And yes we do usually do the Beacon and love that hotel. I looked at Oyster.com photos they were a bit vague and sadly don't show pics of the suites and I have been in the Lucerne once - but never stayed there - although a friend did and quite liked it - but something keeps bugging me about it.

Been a bit hesitant about OTA and the Lucerne. Thanks for confirming that they'll be below the Beacon standard.

I dislike staying in T.S. - okay for a visit. Did it once a few years ago and vowed never to again. I had forgotten about the Blakely - I like that place and a bit further from the madness of T.S. - thanks NyWhiz.

Have you stayed at the Mulberry? What's the area like for noise at night?

We actually don't have a designated budget - although a great deal is always welcome. Really I'd just like a nice hotel that is not too loud, with comfy beds. Don't care about room service or a gym or pool or bar in hotel. Got the rest of NYC for that - and my niece is only 18 anyway.

If the place was great would go as high as $350.00 - 400.00per night before taxes.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,973 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Choice Affinia/Shelburne/ Lucerne or On the Ave

While you may not see photos of the particular room you would get at the Lucerne, I think you can see the style of the furnishings and I still don't get why you'd want to be on the UWS for such a short visit with the plans you have.

The Hampton Inn I suggested is not IN Times Square but northwest of it. It just makes going to the theater and being able to walk that little bit easier. But the Blakely also gives you that advantage and you get the kitchenette you like and a bit of breakfast to boot if you don't mind the added price. I don't know how many you are, but the Blakely only has 2 doubles rather than queens although you could get a 1 bedroom suite and get a daybed in the living room.

Another idea is the Eventi which is newish on 6th ave. & 30th st. Very nice rooms and well priced for 2 queen beds on booking.com and even better on Expedia ($313 plus tax)

www.oyster.com/new-york-city/hotels/eventi/

It's unfortunate that so few of the nicer downtown hotels have rooms for more than 2 which I assume you need. No, haven't stayed at the Mulberry. Just thought it would be a good location for your Brooklyn and village days and with 2 queen beds, closer to a subway station than the Seaport hotels (Best Western and Hampton Inn) which also have 2 queens.

Btw, there's nothing wrong with either the Shelburne or the Affinia Gardens. I just don't think either location particularly suits the plans you've described.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Choice Affinia/Shelburne/ Lucerne or On the Ave

Thanks NyWhiz. You are always so helpful.

Lainey

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
727 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Choice Affinia/Shelburne/ Lucerne or On the Ave

I have stayed at OTA several times and think it's fine for a couple but the room with two double beds was really small. I've never been to any of the other hotels so can't compare.

7. Re: Hotel Choice Affinia/Shelburne/ Lucerne or On the Ave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2013, 10:24