We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free ferry

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Free ferry

Hi all

Where do we go to catch the free ferry that cruises past Statue of Liberty and is a 1 hour round trip? thanks

California
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free ferry

http://www.siferry.com/Default.aspx

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free ferry

It is a 1 hour journey in total, and one of the best FREE things you will find in New York, though you don't get a close view of the Statue of Liberty.

once you arrive on Staten island you then have to get off the boat and go round and reboard, you can not stay on for the return trip,

Have a look at http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm the closet subway stop is the R line- south ferry stop right outside the terminal

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Free ferry

The SI ferry does not cruise past the Statue of Liberty - you typically see it from a distance.

If money and time are an issue then this is better than nothing. If you really want to see the SOL then I recommend a boat trip that gets you a lot closer.

Omnipresent
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free ferry

The SI ferry was good enough for me. In NYC time is money and the free ferry gets you in and out within an hour. As previously mentioned not as close as the boat tours, but it probably ended up being the most fun thing we did on our trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free ferry

I agree with Mez. IMO if all you want to see of the SOL is at a distance then the SI ferry will be fine. If you want to see her closer then a visit to Liberty Island is a must, and you have to book via the statue cruises website.

The SI ferry is a great free trip in NYC but don't expect to be close to the SOL. And don't expect to get good photos unless you have a long lens.

BUT the view of Manhattan in and out of the ferry terminal is spectacular. This is one of the best parts of the free ferry trip for me.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Free ferry

>> BUT the view of Manhattan in and out of the ferry terminal is spectacular. This is one of the best parts of the free ferry trip for me. <<

Oh, I absolutely agree. I just realised my post may have come across as the SI ferry not being worth the trip at all. It most definitely is for the above reasons.

I just wouldn't want the OP to be disappointed if they thought the ferry got up close and personal to the SOL.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free ferry

Thanks everyone

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free ferry

I found the SI ferry superb for viewing the SoL for free. Have a look at my book- the photos of the SoL were taken from the SI ferry.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2598769

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
328 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free ferry

WACT Loved your book! Nice work.

Sao Paulo, Brazil
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Free ferry

WATC, just loved the pictures!! You gave me the exact idea of the distance from the Staten Island Ferry to the SOL. Exactly what the doctor recommended...!!! I've been at the feet of SOL in 2009, so I just wanted to tell her that I was there to see her again.