We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchange

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
exchange

Should we change money in uk or wait till new york?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchange

I would use your ATM (bank) card and/or credit cards. They give you a better rate than changing money no matter where it is.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchange

bobby, thats all well and good but what is the rate in NYC i have just got $1.53 for the £1.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,420 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: exchange

I think you misunderstand how this works. The rate is the same everywhere. There's only one exchange rate at any one time. The issue is what any one individual dealer is willing to give you in order to make their cut, and that doesn't vary from country to country, it varies from person to person. The bank rate (usually plus a small fee) is what you get from an ATM or credit card. The dealer rate is what you get if you exchange cash. The bank rate is always better than the dealer rate, and the small fee is almost always less than a dealer's cut.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: exchange

time to move to the 21st century mate-- get an ATM card from your local bank whichever one gives you the best terms. They will be tied to a network like Cirus or Visa and you will be able to use an appropriate ATM ovef here at the best rate FOR THAT DAY. it also saves you the worry of carrying around a bunch of cash in any currency.

5. Re: exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 10:20