We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper West Side as a Base on holidays?

Cork
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Upper West Side as a Base on holidays?

Hi Folk,

First time poster from Ireland.

Myself and my fiancee are planning our honeymoon for America in June/July 2012. We plan on starting in Boston in late June and heading to the White Mountains & Cape Code before spending a week in July (10th -17th) in New York. Neither of us have been to America before so we are looking for some help as we plan our trip.

We have checked a few hotels in downtown New York eg Manhattan & Time Square however the price of the hotels are very expensive due to location and time of the year we are visiting. Some of them are coming in at $1600/1700 for the 7 days. I understand its central location, and as its our honeymoon I dont wanna stay in a dive either! However we have looked at some alternatives (as after 3 weeks in America our money will be going low!!!). The Upper West Side was a place that someone mentioned to me to look at as a location to base ourselves out and that the prices would be lower. We have looked at apts and hotels etc.

We are looking at possibly staying in an area near 70th Street,on Upper West which i gather is just a few blocks from the Lincoln centre and is right next to Central Park. I assume we could commute in and out of the the city centre via Sub way ? How safe would the atrea be at nighttime. Im pretty street wise but always wanna have some idea of the area Im gonna stay in. For example we might head into Time Square to get all the lights and atmosphere at night,have a few drinks,dinner and take in the buzz of New York City before heading back to the Hotel / Apt on the Upper West Side..I presume its not that difficult to get back there ?

We plan on doing all the tourist stuff in New York such as Empire State bulding,baseball game,Rockefeller centre etc over the course of the 7 days, so I guess much of holiday will be on the go and taking in the sights.

All advise would be appreciate, mainly whether Upper West Side would be ideal location as a base for the 7 days as its coming in nearly $500 cheaper than staying in the very heart / centre of the City.

Thanks in advance.

Gavin

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
NYC Horse Carriage Rides
Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper West Side as a Base on holidays?

UWS is a great location -it is perfectly safe. You just need to be close to a subway station.

However DONT rent an apartment as per the following:-

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

Cork
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper West Side as a Base on holidays?

Ok I wont rent an apartment..Hotel it is.

I realise now also that the Upper West Side is indeed part of Manhattan.Forgive me....remember Ive never been to New York so only getting more info on the place over the net and from forums.

Thanks

Gavin

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Upper West Side as a Base on holidays?

Don't let the fact that you haven't been to New York stop you from looking at a map. It will help you understand the layout of the city.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,857 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Upper West Side as a Base on holidays?

I'm reposting the relevant portion of what I posted in your other question thread, since that reply was so delayed.

You're confused about the locations you're mentioning. Manhattan is the whole island. Times Square (notice the correct spelling) is IN Manhattan. We don't have a city center here, the way other cities do - the usual tourist sites are very spread out. They're not all near Times Square - in fact, very few of them are. You'll be using the subway (notice the correct spelling) no matter where you stay, so you shouldn't think about it as "comuting to the center," you're just travelling from one important part of the city to another.

The upper west side is right next to the theater district. You can walk from one to the other. Have you looked ta a map"? Look at maps.google.com to get a sense of what I'm talking about.

July is MUCH cheaper than June for hotels. In July you should be able to get a hotel in Manhattan for $200 a night, or possibly a little less. But stop limiting yourself in terms of location: find the best hotel in Manhattan that you can afford. As long as it's near a subway station, you'll only be a few minutes from everything you want to see.

Welcome to the forum!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Upper West Side as a Base on holidays?

To answer other questions you had: the Upper West Side is safe at night. It can be lively but is less likely to be overwhelming than midtown Manhattan can be. Travel by subway from the Upper West Side to midtown Manhattan is simple and fast. The Upper West Side is much more residential in character than is the Times Square area, and you will probably find dinner and drinks on the Upper West Side to be more enjoyable and less expensive than they would be in the immediate area of Times Square.

Ireland
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upper West Side as a Base on holidays?

I agree, the Upper West Side of Manhattan is a lovely part of the city and I would prefer to stay there than in Times Square or midtown. It is a part of the city that people actually live in and has great choices when it comes to going out for food or drinks. You will see apartment style hotels, as opposed to apartments, when you are checking, and these are fine. Get a 7 day metrocard, the best value item you can purchase on your holiday and you can zip all over with it on the subway and buses. The subway will get you to midtown or further on down to lower manhattan very quickly and efficiently. (note there are express and local subways, will be worth knowing sometimes). Have a read of the idiots guide to the subway thread:

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4244193-…

...and here's a link to an official subway map (which you can then pick up at any subway station when you get there):

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

New York
Level Contributor
607 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upper West Side as a Base on holidays?

As someone who lives on the Upper West Side, I can say with absolute confidence that it is a safe area to stay in while you are vacationing in NYC. You are within 1 to 2 blocks to the subway (whether it be the 1,2 line on Broadway or the C, B line on Central Park West. And in the summer, the subway platforms will be very hot so you are in a great location to walk to midtown (where Times Square, Rockefeller Center and a lot of other tourist attractions are located). We have tons of great restaurants on the UWS (upper west side) and lots of nice bars and lounges. Central Park and Riverside Park are a hop, skip and jump away and our lifeline. Most restaurants will offer al fresco dining so just walk around Columbus Avenue and Amsterdam Avenue and people watch and enjoy the surroundings. You are close to the infamous Zabars and Fairway food markets, Columbus Circle, good shopping (Century 21!) and in a very lively neighborhood that is filled with locals always willing to give advice or suggestions. Since it's summer, make sure you ask directions to get to the Boat Basin Cafe on West 79th and the river.. a local haven for drinks and dining alongside the river (totally casual place with checkered table clothes and bbq and you can take your dog or kids). Take a walk on some of the sidestreets at dusk or at night where the townhouses are and get a view of some amazing apartments that have their lights on.

Enjoy NY. Enjoy the heat

Cork
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Upper West Side as a Base on holidays?

wow...sounds so good..keep the advice coming,it's very appreciated.

Cork
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Upper West Side as a Base on holidays?

wow...sounds so good..keep the advice coming,it's very appreciated.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upper West Side as a Base on holidays?

Note also that some of your assumptions may be skewed because of the much larger and denser population in New York City than you will find at home in Ireland. You might want to try using the "street view" feature of Google Maps to get an idea of what neighborhoods in NYC look like. Zoom in to a neighborhood, and then click and drag the little orange man from the top left corner down to a spot on the map. You can then "walk" through the streets of any neighborhood in town, and can get a 360 degree view. You will then see that, for example, Broadway on the Upper West Side, which you are thinking of as someplace away from the city center, in fact looks something like O'Connell Street in the heart of Dublin -- only the Upper West Side is considerably more urban looking.