We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Newark airport

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Layover in Newark airport

Hello,

I have a layout in neward airport for about 7 hours. I am wonding if we have time to go into new york city or if there are tour companys that will take us somewhere for a couple hours. We have never been to new york and want to know what we can do in our layover. We would love to get to see the city.

Thanks and I hope you can help me

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Newark airport

what time do you arrive and what time is your flight out? Where are you flying to?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Newark airport

I am flying from Halifax to San jose , Costa Rica. I arrive at 9:30 am and the flight leaves at 5:30pm so we will need to be back at the airport around 3:30 or 3pm.

Edited: 19 January 2012, 18:49
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Newark airport

I think you'd have time to take either a train or bus into town for a very short walkaround if, and only if, you can leave your luggage somewhere at the airport or check it in for the next flight.

The bus trip takes about 45 minutes and drops you off at the Port Authority, the NJ Transit train takes you to Penn Station. From either you could get out, walk around and gawk a bit, and find something to eat, maybe even do a bit of shopping. I don't think you have enough time to really go to any "attractions" but just walking around will leave you wanting to come back for a longer visit. I would take the train back to the airport as it's quicker and more predictable.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Newark airport

You can probably spend about 4 hours in midtown Manhattan. That's assuming your flight gets in on time, you don't have to deal with luggage, etc.

NJ Transit will take about 30 minutes to midtown. Know in advance what you want to do in that area, so you can move quickly. Also have a backup option to return to the airport in case of problems with NJ Transit (e.g. PATH at 34/6 to Newark and then taxi to airport).

If it's a nice day, go to the high line and Chelsea market. Also some art galleries in the mid 20s south of Penn station. You could also walk to Times Square. Just keep your eye on the clock to know when you have to get back - don't take risks.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in Newark airport

Sure thing. Take the train, it is $12.50 each way / per person. Hold on to your tickets until the Conductor on board collects your tickets.

Choose a train from the schedule for the trip back. Remember, the NJ Transit schedule says 22 - 25 minutes between New York Penn and Newark Airport but in reality that is for the Newark Airport Rail station. You still need to allow an additional 10 - 15 minutes for the AirTrain. I can get from the American Airlines terminal at JFK to New York Penn Station in under 40 minutes but I have never ever managed to get between Penn Station and any terminal at Newark Airport in under 45 - 50 minutes.

In reality, Continental is not going to have a gate agent working the flight to Costa Rica more than an hour in advance. There will likely be other flights departing from that gate up until around 4:30PM so as long as you're already "enroute" as you are, you don't really need to worry about getting to the gate at 3:30PM unless you want to watch them begin boarding a flight to someplace not very exciting like Cleveland. To be safe though, I'd be on a NJ Transit train a little before 3:30PM just to be safe (maybe even closer to 3:00PM - just to be very safe and avoid any worry).

You can walk the highline and do some sightseeing or make advance reservations at a really nice restaurant. You can even walk the highline right to a wonderful restaurant like Del Posto.

Lunch at Del Posto will be an experience and you can easily walk 30th Street over to the High Line just west of 10th Avenue and stroll down to Del Posto near 15th Street (three quarters of a mile).

Remember to purchase your tickets for the ride back to Newark Airport before boarding the train.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover in Newark airport

Here's a company that specializes in touring with layover times: www.ontimenewyork.com. Perhaps it will work for you.

7. Re: Layover in Newark airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2013, 10:20