We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Girl Scouts and 3 leaders coming to NYC

Omaha, Nebraska
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
9 Girl Scouts and 3 leaders coming to NYC

I have a total of 12 people that girls are 13-14 year olds. We want to come right at Memorial Day and stay 4 or 5 nights depending on what we can afford need really cheap. Will be flying. Any suggestions.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Girl Scouts and 3 leaders coming to NYC

Have a look at some hotels through Expedia or whatever website you like,. Find a few hotels in your budget and then come back to ask about them. Avoid the Hotel Pennsylvania and The Hotel Carter at all costs. They are not a safe place to stay

Also, you must define "really cheap". It's kinda subjective.:)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Girl Scouts and 3 leaders coming to NYC

Do you know that the national Girl Scout headquarters is in New York City?

420 Fifth Ave.

http://www.girlscouts.org/

And I believe they even have a tour: (see #5)

www.girlscouts.org/search.asp…

if you have time....

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Girl Scouts and 3 leaders coming to NYC

Look at 1 bedroom suites at the Eastgate Tower on affinia.com. They come w/ 2 queen beds and a sofabed. If you can share the beds, then you may be able to get away with only 2. They also have large living rooms so if they don't want to share beds, maybe the girls can "camp" on the floor,

They also have full kitchens so you may be able to save some $$ and time by stocking in cereal, fruit, english muffins and other breakfast fixings.

The only downfall I see is 6 people sharing one bathroom.

The Eastgate also has 2 bedroom/2 bath suites with 2 queen-sized beds, a king bed and a sofabed. I've never seen one of these, but you may be able to get away with the 2 bedroom for 8 plus a studio .

After you do a bit of research on their website, I'd call the NY hotel directly and ask about reservations ... and I'd time my call for a weekday between noon and 2, new york time so that you are more likely to be speaking to them when the front desk is not super-busy and the manager is around.

Good luck!!!

Omaha, Nebraska
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Girl Scouts and 3 leaders coming to NYC

Yes I do know that we are hoping that we can get to meet the new CEO and get the patch that she hands out to girls that she meets.

Omaha, Nebraska
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Girl Scouts and 3 leaders coming to NYC

Really cheap mean the cheapest price we can get I can't spend more then $1000 in lodging and hope that we could do it for more like 7-800.

Thanks,

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Girl Scouts and 3 leaders coming to NYC

You mean $200-250/night for 12 people? or that much per room

Omaha, Nebraska
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Girl Scouts and 3 leaders coming to NYC

I know I am dreaming but I would love it if I could get some place for all of us on 250 per night. The girls are willing to sleep on the floor if they have too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,756 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 Girl Scouts and 3 leaders coming to NYC

That is just not going to happen and, if it does, it will involve a miracle. Can you get rooms for 12 people for just $250 night in Omaha? I highly doubt it. NYC is one of the most expensive cities in the world. You are talking about around $21.00 per person per night with that sort of budget.

I would think you would need to regroup and consider how to raise additional funds to make this possible or put it off until you can raise the funds.

Whether the girls will sleep on the floors is irrelevant; hotels don't let people put in as many people in a room as they can as there are fire safety laws, etc.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 Girl Scouts and 3 leaders coming to NYC

Looking at the Eastgate Towers for your required dates (arriving Memorial Day and staying for 4 nights), a Junior Suite room with 2 x queen beds + sofa bed can fit 6 people.

So you could book 2 of these to cover everyone.

For the 4 nights the price is $1225 PER ROOM (including tax) at a non-refundable rate, so you would be looking at $2450 for the full 4 nights.

That's $612.50 per night.

Even if you looked at some 3rd party booking sites and found some good specials, you are definately going to need to significantly increase your budget or plan the trip for a later date.

Edited: 20 January 2012, 01:14
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 Girl Scouts and 3 leaders coming to NYC

If you search through this forum for "Girl Scouts" you will see a number of posts regarding touring New York City with scouts. I have taken my troop to NYC annually and we love it. We have also visited Pax Lodge in London and traveled to Paris, France.

Your lodging budget for hotel rooms is just not feasible in a city like NYC. Your only real option near that budget is to stay at Hosteling International-New York City. It starts at $29.00 per night. It will allow the girls to share a room.

http://www.hinewyork.org/groups.shtml

Please know that if you show up at a hotel with 12 people and have only reserved one room, the hotel may not let you check in. New York City hotels are very strict with their fire code. While you may be able to get by with putting one extra person in a room (note that I said MAY), you are really chancing it if you reserve only one room (even a two bedroom suite) for all 12 of you. The only exception I can think of is the Doubletree Guest Suites which has some connecting rooms (two-one bedroom suites with connecting doors). This will likely be between $500.00 to $1000.00 per night.

Alas, New York City is one of the most expensive cities in the world to visit. Hosteling International has been hosting Girl Scout troops for decades. They are really your best bet with the budget you propose.

If you want some reasonably priced suggestions of activities, please let me know! New York City is so much fun for a troop a Girl Scouts! Moms