We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Marriott?

nh
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which Marriott?

Hi all

Wil be coming for an overnight trip at the end of the month. I have 2 hotels reserved so far with pros/cons for each. Would love to hear other's opinions. The cost is the same.

Marriott NY East Side. Close to GCT. Will be dining at Sakagura Rest and John's Pizza which are close by. Looks more "romantic" but even with my gold status with Marriott, not seeing any more benefits here asa full service since Conceirge Lounge is not open on weekends.

Courtyard Soho. Planning to check out some jazz club around the village as well as a couple of bars. Also planning to go to comedy cellar for a show. Seems to be better location for that.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sakagura
Sakagura
432 Reviews
New York City, NY
SoHo
SoHo
3,673 Reviews
New York City, NY
nh
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Marriott?

Any thoughts?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Marriott?

I don't know how much you stay in Marriott's but you are not comparing apples to apples-- the East side is a full blown Marriott hotel and much bigger and imo nicer than any Courtyard which is lower down on their scale than the full Marriotts. That said you are only here for one night i don't think it makes much difference because you should not be spending a lot of time in the room anyway. As far as location the only distance that matters is how far it is to the subway to get you around town and again for only one night I don't think it really matters . I happen to like the full blown Marriott's but I stay in a lot of them (as well as a number of Courtyards) while traveling on business. But that is me

If you are Marriott gold you should be able to figure out this yourself based on your past stays and what YOU liked about each

Edited: 20 January 2012, 12:25
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
103,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Marriott?

The original John's pizzeria is in the village on Bleecker st., so that plus jazz and comedy would make staying downtown the better option assuming you're doing those things at night. In addition to the Courtyard Soho, there's the Marriott downtown in the financial district.

If you're meeting someone at the John's near Times Square, the Marriott Marquis is the logical choice.

Mentioned in this post
SoHo
SoHo
3,673 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,044 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York Marriott Marquis
11,762 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Marriott?

I'm guessing OP passed on the Marquis for financial reasons. It is the one I would choose, though, if I was choosing a Marriott.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,676 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Marriott?

The Marriott Marquis Times Sq is my favorite, did you look into that one? .

Mentioned in this post
11,762 Reviews
New York City, NY
nh
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Marriott?

Thanks for the feedback. I did not want to stay in the Times Sqaure area and the cost is higher as well.

nywhiz--those are the reasons I am thinking it may be more logical for us to stay in Soho since it is right next to a subway station and most of the activities we want to do at night are in the West Village area.

I guess my dilemma was that the Courtyard costs the same as the full service Marriott and I would hate to pass up the FS over the CY! I'm not likely to spend much time in the room anyway so I guess it doesn't matter that much.

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
SoHo
SoHo
3,673 Reviews
New York City, NY
West Village
West Village
1,388 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
103,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Marriott?

What "full service" do you anticipate using???

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Marriott?

I have stayed at many of these NY properties for business.

The quietest rooms are at the Marquis or the Courtyard TS on West 40th. Personally, I don't like the east side property because it is older and much noisier (outside noise) at night. The Renaissance TS is nice but smaller rooms.

nh
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Marriott?

Thanks for everyone's input. I've decided on the Courtyrad Soho just becuase most of our evening activities will be in the West Village.

Mentioned in this post
SoHo
SoHo
3,673 Reviews
New York City, NY
West Village
West Village
1,388 Reviews
New York City, NY
10. Re: Which Marriott?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2013, 10:22