We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wich one of the 3 hotels????..

Quebec
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Wich one of the 3 hotels????..

We are a family of four who will be visiting new York for the first time this july.... I am looking alla round to find an hotel near times square in our budget.

Wich one would you recommend between

Salisbury Hotel : we can have a suite and eat breakfast in the little kitchenette but no parking ( extra charge)

Comfort inn: Wich has the breakfast included but no parking ( extra charge)

Travel Inn : wich has the parking included but no breakfast but there is a little dely right next door ( i dont know the price of a decent breakfast there)

Any advice would be appreciated...Our budget is around 225-203$ a night....

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,880 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wich one of the 3 hotels????..

Without knowing your exact dates of travel, we cannot advise you whether these choices are the best you can do for your budget. Hotel prices fluctuate, sometimes daily. If it's later in July, you can expect significantly discounted prices to start appearing closer to travel time. If i'ts around our 4th of July holiday, then discounts will be less substantial.

It's very rare to have parking included for Manhattan hotels. If you focus on that, you'll be looking at a very small selection and possibly miss out on some really great bargains at great hotels.

Book something that you can cancel with zero fees or penalties, then wait until late spring to start seeing discounted rates. Don't book something non-refundable at this point. It's too early. You'll probably pay too much, and miss out on some really great hotels that will offer discounts.

Lastly, is there a particular reason you want to stay near Times Square? Many tourists assume that it is the best and most central place to be, and that any other neighborhood is a compromise. This is simply not true. Times Square is not the best place to stay for most people.

Quebec
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wich one of the 3 hotels????..

We are planning our trip to NY from the 23 to the 28 of July.... I know i'm a bit early ton reserve but i'm afraid all the hotels i like wont have any rooms left....

Since its our firts time to NY and we are going with our two teenagers ( 12 and 15) we tought it would be nice to stay close to times sqare so that in the evening we could go there and shop, eat, relax before going to our room near by....

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wich one of the 3 hotels????..

I would choose the Travel Inn. Parking in NYC is very expensive. It is the ONLY hotel in NYC that offers it free. The least I've paid is 24.00 a day.

You don't want to eat in Times Square, if you can help it. You'll be close to 9th Ave, with a TON of mid priced unique places to eat. www.menupages. com, will help you look. Times Square has a bunch of CROWDED overpriced chains that are not very good, regardless. I cannot stress how very crowded the area is. It should be seen,no doubt, it is iconic but it is not the "center" of NYC, as we tourists always think..:)

The Travel Inn is a bit removed and honestly, you will be glad for it. You can just grab the subway and go down to Greenwich Village or up to The Upper West Side ,if you're looking for a more leisurely pace for having a nice meal. The subway is quick,easy and cheap..and yes, safe at all hours

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wich one of the 3 hotels????..

We had our first visit to NY in November and decided to stay in the Meat Packing district. Obviously we did the touristy thing and visited Times Square but we both said that we were glad we didn't decide to stay there as it was way to touristy and commercial. I'd definitely recommend looking at other area's of the city for your first visit. Transport links are great and its easy to get anywhere you need to go.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,560 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wich one of the 3 hotels????..

The largest rooms at the Travel Inn have 2 double beds, not terribly comfortable for the 4 of you. While the free parking and added benefit of the somewhat rare for NYC outdoor pool would be nice for July, it's close quarters.

There are very good prices on booking.com for the Affinia 50 in various size suites with 2 queen beds. The 1 bedroom suite will also have a sofabed and a kitchen. If you're willing to prepay, the prices are not much more than what you're looking at spending for just a room at the TRavel Inn. I'd consider that and perhaps park the car at the ferry terminal in Weehawken, NJ called Port Imperial which costs $10/day.

Nywaterway.com

is the website for the ferry.

6. Re: Wich one of the 3 hotels????..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2013, 10:23