We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where do the locals go for a steak in nyc

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
where do the locals go for a steak in nyc

Hi

going to NYC at the end of March. Would like to take my wife out for a steak whilst we are there. This would preferably in Manhatten. Could you locals please give me a few recommendations of somewhere to go that serves good food and is great value.

Thanks

Brian

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,400 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where do the locals go for a steak in nyc

If you just want any cut of steak most of the good French bistros and brasseries do very good value steak frites (with french fries). Balthazar in Soho is one of the good options for this. I've also had good hanger steak as part of a prix fixe pre theater menu at Saju Bistro near Times Square. Le Relais de Venise also does good value steak

menupages.com/restaurants/…

Capital Grille in the Time Life building does a very good value prix fixe with steak options for entrees.

thecapitalgrille.com/Locations/NYC-Time-Life…

Other popular steakhouses include BLT Steak, BLT Prime, Wolfgangs, Ben & Jack's, Porter House, Keens but you will pay top dollar.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where do the locals go for a steak in nyc

In today's Wall Street Journal, Gay Talese recommended Donohue's Steak House :

"It's an Irish place attended by neighborhood sports fans, firemen, cops, writers and old-timers who've been coming here for 50 years or so."

845 Lexington Ave.

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where do the locals go for a steak in nyc

Thanks all.

Donohue's looks great and has real character. Saw photos of the pork chops on TA, they look like they came from a T Rex.

Super find, this goes well with Capizzis as my Italian choice

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where do the locals go for a steak in nyc

I would echo the BLT suggestion

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
139 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where do the locals go for a steak in nyc

I'm not a local but my vote goes to Smith & Wollensky.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where do the locals go for a steak in nyc

Apiary on Third Avenue in the East Village is one of the best places to get just a little bit out of the core tourist area (without going "off the grid" or venturing far from the subways). Excellent meats that absolutely will not disappoint. Great place. Excellent service, very pleasant atmosphere, extremely reasonable prices. You just have to get the heck out of Times Square.

This is actually a place bring people visiting from the UK and the response is almost always the same, "Wow!!!"

BLT Prime is much more expensive but it absolutely excellent and very worth the money.

7. Re: where do the locals go for a steak in nyc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2013, 10:29