We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel on outskirts of New York for 2 adults/3 kids

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel on outskirts of New York for 2 adults/3 kids

We are looking for a Hotel on the outskirts (due to price) of New York city on June 22nd/23rd.

Can anyone suggest somewhere for less than $200 dollars close to transport into Manhattan. We will be driving so free parking would also be nice and will be traveling from Boston to Washington.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel on outskirts of New York for 2 adults/3 kids

We have friends who've stayed here and loved it. Located in a nice part of Brooklyn. 25 min subway ride gets you to midtown Manhattan. Lovely, residential, safe neighborhood ... free parking on the street I believe..and only $195 a night for a full apartment.....Eve's Bed & Breakfast......

http://evesplacebnb.com/home/home.aspx

2. Re: Hotel on outskirts of New York for 2 adults/3 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 January 2012, 19:35
Edited: 29 January 2012, 19:35
Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel on outskirts of New York for 2 adults/3 kids

Holiday Inn Manhattan View Long Island City

Convenient to Subway stop, short ride into the city. Pay the little bit extra for a glass front room for gorgeous views of the manhattan skyline. Even with the upgrade it is still much closer than in the city.

Would def stay here again.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g48080-d1139055…

astoria, ny
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel on outskirts of New York for 2 adults/3 kids

any hotel in Long Island City (queens) is a quick commute (only 1-2 stops into midtown manhattan). Gorgeous views are possible. But a rather sketchy neighborhood to come home to at night is the downside.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel on outskirts of New York for 2 adults/3 kids

The neighborhood is fine albeit a liitle industrial. I would also recommend country inn and suites

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,560 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel on outskirts of New York for 2 adults/3 kids

To my knowledge none of the hotels in Long Island City will accommodate a family of 5 in 1 space.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,145 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel on outskirts of New York for 2 adults/3 kids

If you are driving from Boston to Washington DC then I'd say stay in Westchester County maybe in White Plains and take the railroad into NYC.

To me going to Queens would be kind of driving out of the way.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,424 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel on outskirts of New York for 2 adults/3 kids

I still say renting a car to visit Boston, NYC and DC is a waste of money. The car will be an expensive hindrance in all three cities, and there are cheaper and faster ways to get between them.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel on outskirts of New York for 2 adults/3 kids

By the time you add in the commuting costs on Metro North you will end up paying more for that Westchester hotel than one in the city.. Putting 5 in a room is absurd no matter where--- get 2 rooms in Long Island City and use the subway to get into Manhattan.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel on outskirts of New York for 2 adults/3 kids

If you took a bus between Boston and NYC, you could actually enjoy the ride/scenery, instead of getting frustrated with traffic and safely driving.

A car is a waste of money in both cities. Take that money and apply it to a hotel.

I'd take the bus to DC,too and THEN get a car