We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A French celebration

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,901 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
A French celebration

Hi all. I help out quite a bit on the Paris Forum, so I'm hoping you'll be helpful with me, even though you're probably all sick of restaurant questions...

We're a family of 7, all adults and we're going to NYC for the Columbia graduation ceremony. We'd like a nice dinner to celebrate after the commencement ceremonies. Here is our wish list;

80$ per head

NOT french or italian

VERY good food and/or an exceptional view/venue

Thanks for your ideas...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A French celebration

Views and quality food rarely go hand and hand in NYC. People focused on views and romance like the River Cafe. Ive never been so cant comment on the quality of the food.

Nobu 57 is excellent and the first thing I think of when it comes to a celebration splurge.

It's hotter for lunch, but you cant go wrong with the Four Seasons. The food is excellent.

Jean Georges is French flair, but I wouldnt call it French French.

The Modern

Eleven Madison Park

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 23 January 2012, 18:02
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A French celebration

I don't think you would be able to stay under $80/person at Jean Georges, Eleven Madison Park, or The Modern, even if you skipped alcohol. The Bar Room @ The Modern may be an alternative, and I've enjoyed every meal I've had there.

You may also want to consider:

Gotham Bar and Grill

Restaurant Marc Forgione

Gramercy Tavern

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A French celebration

I like to use www.menupages.com when trying to find a restaurant. If I still have questions, then I come back here and ask

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A French celebration

Where and what time is the graduation? Are you sure you want dinner and not lunch? It's a lot easier to get a great lunch for $80 than it is dinner. For example, Asiate does a $30 lunch that with drinks and dessert should fit your budget but dinner would be over buddget.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/asiate/menu

Robert restaurant in the Museum of Art & Design has a great view of Central Park.

menupages.com/restaurants/robert-restaurant/

Another idea is Gospel Uptown

www.menupages.com/restaurants/gospel-uptown/

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A French celebration

Lunch or a Sunday brunch is a wonderful way to enjoy expensive restauratns for less money!

Other more casual ideas with great views:

The Boat Basin Cafe

http://boatbasincafe.com/

Landmarc at the Time Warner building

Central Park Boathouse

http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A French celebration

Possibly Asiate, esp. lunch/brunch Good food great views

www.mandarinoriental.com/newyork/dining/

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,901 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A French celebration

I find menuoages useless at giving the user a general over view of the ambience and chef's style... which is why I'm here.

We really don't want anything close to French, not even the flair. Staying within budget and being able to order booze is essential, as is dinner as opposed to lunch. Which means the view has to go.

How about fun.

And maybe I should define VERY good food for our taste buds: we like the produce to be fresh and the ingrdients to be quality, but we're happy with simple. Intricate fancy cuisine is not what we need for this night. We just like authentic. A really great asian or central american place with that certain je ne sais quoi in the ambience would work well.

Otherwise, I will look into the Boat Houses, Gramercy Park and Robert. More ideas welcome.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A French celebration

OK, here's an idea:

Pio Pio

piopio.com/#/pio-pio-salon-upper-west-side

Peruvian rotisserie chicken, great seafood ceviche, nice cocktails.

Delish simple food that's made for sharing, always a fun atmo, but nothing super fancy.

P.S. Congrats to the graduate!

Edited: 23 January 2012, 22:50
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A French celebration

Hey Phread! I haven't been to your side of the pond lately. I plan on taking my youngest to lovely Paris in April!

Here is my two cents on Robert and Landmarc. Both offer a great view if you request the proper table. The food at Robert is good but not great. The food at Landmarc is absolutely delicious, fresh but, alas, there are some French twists. I would however consider it American with French, Italian and Asian twist. It is absolutely delicious.

Another idea, Bar Americain. I have not eaten there but I have heard good things about it from friends. It does not always get the best reviews but, again, I have heard good things. Moms

9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A French celebration

I hear the ember room is great! It's located in hells kitchen