We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for a place to stay

Missouri
Level Contributor
104 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions for a place to stay

Hey there! My family is considering a trip to NY city about the middle of June. We have a family of 5. (3 teenagers) We were wanting to see the usual touristy things such as Ellis Island, Empire State Building, Central Park, etc. Also wanting to take in a few Broadway shows, shop and go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We would most likely have to book two rooms.... where would be a good place to stay? Also, should we fly into LaGuardia or Newark? Thanks for any suggestions.

As far as budget, well, reasonable is good.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,272 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for a place to stay

You are right when you assume that many hotel rooms don't allow 5 to a room, but there are 1 bedroom suites that do. Check out Radio City Apartments, the Affinia properties and the beacon.

You cannot be "close to everything" because the attractions are spread out. As long as you are near a subway stop, you are golden!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for a place to stay

The places you want to visit are all over Manhattan, which is typical. That's why there is no "one good place" to stay that is central to everything.

So, think about what you want near your hotel when you're not dashing off to the major tourist landmarks. What is your vision of your neighborhood? What would you love to have within a 10-15 minute walking distance? Also let us know your budget.

The last time I stayed in New York for my annual family "girly weekend", we stayed in the Bowery and loved that we could walk one direction for Chinatown/Little Italy, another for the lower east side, another for Soho and a bit further for Greenwich Village, plus there were wine shops and food stores to stock our suite for "chill time" at home (apartment-style hotel). What's your vision?

Missouri
Level Contributor
104 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for a place to stay

Well around my hotel I would love to have some places to eat..... and of course some sort of view would be nice. Keep in mind that we live in a small midwestern town so anything will be amazing and different. We are a family - so no partying... just fun family activities. Don't mind walking. Would love to be able to go to dinner before or after the theatre and not be too far from the hotel if possible. It is sort of overwhelming to see all the possibilities!

Missouri
Level Contributor
104 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for a place to stay

Thanks for your suggestions. I have booked at one of the Affinia properties.

5. Re: suggestions for a place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2013, 09:24