We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help Planning One Night in NYC to see Book of Mormon

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help Planning One Night in NYC to see Book of Mormon

My husband and I are meeting our adult son in NYC in mid-March to see Book of Mormon. Our son has been dying to see it, and we finally got tickets.

We are not familiar with the City. We are flying in from LA and our son from DC - just for one night. Could you please recommend a nice nearby hotel that might accommodate three of us for a reasonable price - either two beds and large enough room or a suite or two smaller rooms.

We would also love to find a good recommendation for dinner near the Eugene O'Neil Theater. Our son is a foodie. We are more tranditional steak and veggie eaters. It would be great to find an interesteing restaurant that we would all enjoy.

Is there a breakfast place in the area you would recommend too?

We all really appreciate your guidance in helping us have a great little get away! Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
826 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help Planning One Night in NYC to see Book of Mormon

What date?

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help Planning One Night in NYC to see Book of Mormon

If you can also give a budget that would help - what is "reasonable" to one person might be out of someone else's league.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,195 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help Planning One Night in NYC to see Book of Mormon

Look atg www.menupages.com to help with restaurants

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help Planning One Night in NYC to see Book of Mormon

The reason for the exact date is prices fluctuate.

In NYC, most hotel rooms with 2 beds have 2 doubles. There are a handful that have 2 queens, obviously more comfortable. 2 that are near your theater are the Hampton Inn Times Square NORTH and the Hilton Garden Inn. Assuming this might be a Sat., I checked prices for these 2 on March 17 (which also happens to be St. Patrick's day when a lot of hotels are fully booked) and found the amazingly low price of $135-145/night plus tax (~15%) for the Hampton Inn TSN on booking.com for 2 queen beds including breakfast. I would scoop this up. The lower price is if you prepay, the higher if you don't. Frankly, with such low rates, you might prefer to have 2 separate rooms there. You can get 2 king rooms for $100-120/night each on booking.com (a single occupancy is cheaper than a double on that website which is something I don't usually see).

The Hilton Garden Inn TS is fully booked.

If you want to look at some fancier hotels, the Michelangelo, the Blakely and the Renaissance are all nearby. But honestly, apart from the fact that the building exterior of the Hampton Inn TSN is not very impressive, it's a very good hotel with large rooms.

For dinner, the Capital Grille has a location not far in the Time Life building with a very good pre theater dinner for $39/person that includes entree options of steak, lamb chops and fish.

thecapitalgrille.com/Locations/NYC-Time-Life…

If you think that's too mundane for your son, the Gordon Ramsay restaurant at the London Hotel, while pricey should suit all your tastes.

menupages.com/restaurants/…

Or go to the historic 21 Club, a real NY experience (but men need to wear jacket) for the experience. They have several different menus including a good value (but somewhat limited) pre theater. I like sitting in the barroom.

For something more casual, Thalia is in that area and serves new American food that's very good.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/thalia/

21club.com

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help Planning One Night in NYC to see Book of Mormon

I'll add E & E's Grillhouse to your list. The food is really good (I'm not partial because I know the owners.) and it is across the street from Book of Mormon.

http://www.eegrillhouse.com/menus/index.html

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help Planning One Night in NYC to see Book of Mormon

Thank you for all of your feedback and the great suggestions.

We will be there for the show on March 14, a Wednesday night.

I would love to keep our room costs under $500 if possible - either with a large room for all of us or with two smaller rooms..

The Hampton Inn Times Square North looks like a good choice and good location. I found it really interesting that the costs for the same room ranged from $249 to $1000. I guess I should grab the rooms on the more reasonable site!

The restaurant sugtestions are wonderful, and I have passed them on to my son.

I am grateful for the guidance from you experts on NYC!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help Planning One Night in NYC to see Book of Mormon

Well I don't know if that rate was ever available for your date, but it sure isn't now. Something looks crazy there with rates up to $1000. I wonder if it is a computer problem or the result of my post!

A room with 2 queens there is ~$250 so you could still do that or get 2 rooms there. The Pearl is a newer hotel in the general area and has a room with 2 queens for $420 plus tax on booking.com including breakfast (it might be cheaper elsewhere).

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help Planning One Night in NYC to see Book of Mormon

The Hotel at Times Square (applecorehotels.com) has a room with 2 queen beds for $224.99.....with taxes totaling $261.68. They also have a 2 bedroom "suite" on that date for $284.99....with taxes $332.52. It's 2 separate bedrooms (no sitting room) with one king bed, one queen bed, one bath. Rates here include continental breakfast, wifi, domestic phone calls. This isn't actually in Times Square, but on West 46th St. between 6th and 5th Aves.

It's also close to the theatre. For the "suite" there is an open (no door) entry between the 2 bedrooms, but it will still offer more privacy than sharing one room together. You get an additional 5% discount with AAA membership Present card at check in

Edited: 28 January 2012, 02:21
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help Planning One Night in NYC to see Book of Mormon

Thank you for the excellent advice.

I have written directly to Hampton Inn Time Square to ask about the rate discrepancy.

I also booked two rooms at Hilton Garden Inn that can be canceled.

My son is looking at the good restaurant suggestions for dinner.

Thanks so much for your help!

10. Re: Need Help Planning One Night in NYC to see Book of Mormon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2013, 10:25