We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

general hotel questions

ne okla
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
general hotel questions

Two sisters-in law coming for a 5 night stay the end of April. My 2nd time, her first. I stayed closed to TS 1st time. Not my 1st choice this time, although it was convenient.

We are interested in the west village area to spend some time in. Also plan on the usual tourist things. She likes to run so a place near a park would be nice. I'm into photography so everything works for me, however, we would like to be fairly centrally located.

Our room budget is around $1600 total, but less would be better.

I have been searching but have not been successful. Was hoping someone could throw some suggestions my way.

I LOVE NYC and can't wait to come back!!

Thanks for all your help...Janie

new york city-usa
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: general hotel questions

the hotels that come to mind are , in no particular order of preference:

the Standard Hotel 848 washington st ..right by The Highline Park and West Side hwy..great for running, the Gansevoort Hotel nearby at 18 9th ave, the SohoGrand Hotel, the Jane Hotel at 113 Jane St, Abingdon Sq Park Hotel at 228 west 11th st, the ChelseaPinesInn at 317 west 14th st, and the Washington Sq Hotel at 103 Waverly Pl right at Wash Sq ..west 4th street..very convenient. check the web for more listings.

have a great stay in NYC.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 21:34
NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: general hotel questions

The standard would be perfect.

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: general hotel questions

Great location, great ny vibe.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: general hotel questions

There are very few hotels in the west village. The

wshotel.com

is the only one really and it's pretty basic, but a great location and does have rooms with 2 beds. Some of the places mentioned are in the meatpacking district which borders it (Gansevoort, Jane and the Standard). Some are really b & b's rather than hotels (I think the Abingdon Square mentioned is really the

abingdonguesthouse.com

west-eleventh.com

gvhabitue.com

are some others, but getting 2 beds will be an issue at many of these. In fact, I'm not sure any of the hotels nasdaqua mentions have rooms with 2 beds apart from the Gansevoort which is going to be over your budget. The Standard is closer to $400/night regardless of bed configuration.

I guess you have to decide whether location or "niceness and amenities are more important to you. Your budget is certainly reasonable for that time of year, but not for the newer, trendier places in the downtown areas. The Best Western Hanbee Bowery and the Mulberry Hotel are worth checking. Both have rooms with 2 beds, are downtown and pretty decent.

ne okla
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: general hotel questions

Thanks so much for the replies. Yes, I have had a difficult time finding 2 beds. What are opinions on Affinia Manhattan on 7th between 30 & 31?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: general hotel questions

If i were going to stay at one of the Affinias and give up a downtown location, it probably wouldn't be that one. Don't love the location, especially for restaurants. The Affinia Shelburne or even the Dumont would be preferable to me. A few blcks south of the Manhattan, look at the Indigo and the Hilton Fashion District and maybe the Eventi.

ne okla
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: general hotel questions

thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, those are a little over our budget. What about the Chelsea area? I am looking at the Chelsea Savoy?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: general hotel questions

Have you had a look at the 'travelers photos" on the review page here? I wouldn't like it. I'd rather stay at the Aff. Manhattan.

Have you looked at the Mulberry and the Best Western Hanbee? Didn't like those?

9. Re: general hotel questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2013, 10:19