We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay Hotel NY through booking.com?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Stay Hotel NY through booking.com?

We recently booked stay hotel NY through booking.com , it was a non refundable amount which was absolutely fine, but it said we would be charged within 1-2 days.

Has anyone here booked this type of thing through booking.com, how fast do you find the CC to be charged etc? I read a lot about booking.com and stay pre booking and was pretty confident, but I hate when things don't happen as promised....

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay Hotel NY through booking.com?

Booking.com is legitimate. Why anyone in this day and age would prepay for a hotel is beyond me. You can usually do just as well by booking through the hotel directly with no pre payment. What you need to do now is contact the hotel and see if they have and will honor your booking. Remember what happened with 1 800-hotels the Irish group that went under last year and people lost thousands of dollars. Just make sure Booking.com has made your reservation with the hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay Hotel NY through booking.com?

Thanks, the difference in cost was $350 to book through hotel, so a deal well worth it and as the AUD is so high against the USD, we can save even further if they charge us now, so we are all for pre charging.

It's the hotel who charge us not booking.com, so I've emailed the hotel.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay Hotel NY through booking.com?

>> Why anyone in this day and age would prepay for a hotel is beyond me. <<

Because there are times when the prepaid rate is the best deal available. Your pockets must be deeper than that of most people.

Ben, I used www.booking.com for the first time last month and the transaction went through in a couple of days.

I had no problems at all and the hotel had a record of my booking very quickly - I could see it on my profile that I have with that particular hotel.

You have done the right thing in contacting the hotel. That way you know for sure.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay Hotel NY through booking.com?

Thanks Mez :)

Cardiff
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay Hotel NY through booking.com?

Booking.com are definitely legitimate so no worries there.

Re. pre-paying it's very common here in the UK as a lot of the sites we use e.g. Expedia have great prepay deals. It also means we only have to worry about day to day spending when we get there.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay Hotel NY through booking.com?

Also even if you don't book via a third party, quite often the best rate with the hotel itself is a non-refundable one. If you have good travel insurance it shouldn't even be an issue.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay Hotel NY through booking.com?

Going to Los Angeles/ New York for first time in June 2012 and while Booking.com was cheaper for the LA hotel, we found that booking through the hotel itself in NY ( NYMA 32nd st) was cheaper, so just check the hotels website to be sure you get the best deal

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
222 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay Hotel NY through booking.com?

I always made reservations with Booking.com using my credit card to guarantee them and never had problems.

Prepaid reservations are very good if you are sure to stay at the hotel selected. The best rates are prepaid.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay Hotel NY through booking.com?

Hi Ben,

I also recently booked a NYC hotel through Booking.com and it took about a week to appear on my credit card.

I checked with the hotel and they confirmed my reservation so I assume all is fine.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
104 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay Hotel NY through booking.com?

I have used Booking.com on numerous occasions and never had any issues. They are quite often the best value site too.