We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for info about age in NYC

Prince Edward...
3 posts
Save Topic
Looking for info about age in NYC

I'm from Canada where legal age is 19.. that means i can book a hotel and drink legally. My question is will I be allowed to stay in a hotel if i am 20 years old when the legal age is 21, I will be with my girlfriend who will be 18 the time we travel. Does anyone know if such rule or restrictions apply? I also have a credit card so booking online is what we are hoping to do.. any input will be very appreciated because we plan to stay for 3 nights this summer in June 2012. Does the age limit 21 apply for visitors in the states as well like say I wanted a drink at a restaurant would i be of age?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for info about age in NYC

Regarding drinking, it is illegal to buy alcohol if you are not yet 21. Many bars will ask to see an ID before you enter. If you're at a restaurant, it is illegal for staff to serve alcohol to anybody under 21. (It's possible that a busy server will forget to check your ID -- but if the restaurant is caught, there will be legal trouble.)

Regarding your hotel, I don't know the answer. Perhaps call the hotel in advance, and note the name and position of the person you speak with.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,272 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for info about age in NYC

You will not be permitted to drink alcohol anywhere in the state of NY. The drinking age is 21 whether you are at a bar or restaurant. You will also not be permitted to buy alcohol at a store.

As for hotels, some hotels will not let you check in if you are not 21 so before you book on-line using a credit card, you should call the hotel directly and asked ... bet yet,EMAIL them, and if they say "yes", print out the email and bring it with you.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for info about age in NYC

It is against the law for anybody under the age of 21 to purchase or consume alcohol in any place or setting. It is also against the law for parents to serve wine (or any other alcoholic beverage) to their children who may be under 21.

Believe it or not, people have been prosecuted for serving alcohol to their children in their own home (generally the cases have stemmed from somebody stepping out of the home and being intoxicated - there aren't exactly officers looking into the window to see whether a parent has poured wine for their 20 year old at dinner).

These laws are actually taken quite seriously in America. New York City pays particularly close attention - in part because enforcement of laws generally results in fines and those fines have become a nifty source of revenue for the City.

Most hotels do not allow anybody under the age of 21 to check in - this is in part due to the fact that teenagers try to book hotel rooms for parties (and to circumvent the law). Check before you arrive and find out you can't check-in to the hotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,001 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for info about age in NYC

There are some hotels that do allow check in if under 21 years of age. There have been numerous threads here on the NYC forum about them - you could try a search of the forum or start a new thread that is more clear about your question asking about hotels that allow check for under 21 years of age. They do exist.

And - yup - as everyone else has noted; drinking laws apply to everyone.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for info about age in NYC

Also, I'm realizing that your question mentions the "legal age." The legal age of adulthood in the USA (18) and the legal age for drinking (21) have nothing to do with each other. I'm not sure that the hotel booking issue has anything to do with a "legal age."

vancouver
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for info about age in NYC

Anastasia,

Hotels in Canada require at least 1 guest to be 21 yrs old & have a valid credit card as well.

Even if the room is prepaid, you'll be required to either leave a cash deposit or provide a creadit card.

More importantly, you'll be required to provide proof of age with ID such as your passport so please don't plan a trip thinking you can find a way around it.

I'd hate to see your time, effort & money wasted.

You could try looking for a youth hostel.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,376 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for info about age in NYC

In Quebec where the legal age for drinking is 18, you can book a hotel room with no issues.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,417 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for info about age in NYC

Here's a link of hotels that supposedly accept under 21’s. You should double check

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5106310…

Prince Edward...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for info about age in NYC

Thank you so much everyone.. I do realize that my question beats around the bush. But yes i was asking if there were different circumstances for tourists in NYC, and that if my boyfriend and I planned a trip checking in at a hotel would be a VERY important part considering that neither of us are yet 21 or will be at the time of travel. So there are some hotels that allow check in under 21 years of age and that My boyfriend and I will not legally be allowed alcohol.. Thank You!!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,114 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for info about age in NYC

"But yes i was asking if there were different circumstances for tourists in NYC,"

The laws in NYC are the same for tourists as they are for locals. Are there any laws in Prince Edward that, if I came as a tourist, I would be exempt from?