We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strategy regarding booking hotel

Örebro
Level Contributor
70 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Strategy regarding booking hotel

Hello fellow TA memebers!!

My wife and I are going to visit NYC in october (19th - 23rd) and I was just wondering what the best strategy is when it comes to booking a hotel. Like many others we are looking for a nice rate a nice hotel. So is it better to book it a couple of months in advance or is it better to stay cool and book it closer to departure? We are looking for a hotel in the 250 - 350 dollar range.

Thanks in advance!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,378 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strategy regarding booking hotel

:Look at what I JUST wrote on this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5111586…

Come back with any questions or clarifications you need.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strategy regarding booking hotel

You should be fine with that rate but the strategy that often works is to book something now that is in budget but can be cancelled up to the last minute and use that as your base amount as you look for deals-- the best deals for you should occur 90 to 30 days before your date.so start looking for that deal around July 15th but do so knowing you have a room for sure and will not be shut out

Cardiff
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strategy regarding booking hotel

We booked early January for early March and the prices have been rising steadily ever since. I was checking prices daily for 3 weeks or so before booking.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strategy regarding booking hotel

sign up for specials on travelzoo -, sign up on hotels own websites that you like as they will email you with specials but they may not suit your dates.

Some hotels -affinia also sometimes offer cheaper rates for advance booking

oyster.com shows pictures to help with your decision.

Örebro
Level Contributor
70 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strategy regarding booking hotel

Thanks a lot for your quick replies!!

I will check the sites that you have recommend.

By the way, do most of the booking sites/hotels charge for the room when I book it, or is there any site where I can book now (Or near future) and pay on arrival?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
67 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strategy regarding booking hotel

Most booking sites take payment upfront. Recently found a great rate on Expedia for our dates in March for the Mela near Times Square (has gone up substantially since I booked). Didn't fancy paying upfront so contacted the hotel directly, they matched the rate, just took credit card details for reservation (no upfront payment) and the cancellation policy is 24 hours before arrival date. Always try getting the hotel to match any online rate you find. In addition, if you deal directly with them I find they are more likely to look after you with regards to upgrades, etc.

Edited: 29 January 2012, 21:43
Örebro
Level Contributor
70 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strategy regarding booking hotel

Ahh ok, that sound a like a good idea. Think I will try that!

Thanks. :)

8. Re: Strategy regarding booking hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2013, 10:27