We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are asthma inhalers available over the counter?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Are asthma inhalers available over the counter?

Just wondering if asthma inhalers are available over the counter in New York in case I lose mine or run out?

I learnt the hard way in London that you need a prescription!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are asthma inhalers available over the counter?

I doubt that they are available over the counter. You'd probably have to see a doctor for an Rx. SOME drugstores have something like a "minute clinic". Or you could go to an urgent care center.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are asthma inhalers available over the counter?

Absolutely not. Bring extra for yourself.

ibtimes.com/articles/218979/20110923/asthma-…

Edited: 02 February 2012, 00:36
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are asthma inhalers available over the counter?

Thank you. That's a shame. In Australia the reliever Ventolin/Salbutamol/Asmol is available over the counter whilst preventers need a prescription.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are asthma inhalers available over the counter?

I always have 2 emergency inhalers with me when I travel.

One is in my purse and one is in my hotel room.

I also use a different inhaler twice a day to prevent the need for the emergency one and that is always kept in my hotel room.

NONE of them are available without a scrip!

Ca.
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Are asthma inhalers available over the counter?

best to bring them, the only one that used to be available here was Primatene, but they have been taken off the market until the company can transition them to environmentally safe inhalers. You might be able to find one around in a store, but I wouldn't count on it.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are asthma inhalers available over the counter?

As someone who uses an inhaler, I can say absolutely NO, there is NO effective asthma medication available over the counter in the US.

7. Re: Are asthma inhalers available over the counter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 February 2012, 23:05
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,418 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are asthma inhalers available over the counter?

There actually used to be one available called Primatene but it is off the market as of Dec 31, 2011. I never had need for it, so I have no clue if it was effective, I just remember the scientific looking ads from my childhood.

When I was in the pharmacy the other day, I noticed sign near the prescription counter saying it was not longer for sale. I looked it up when I got home, and their website is promising to have it back on the market, but doesn't say when.

Be safe ... bring what you need.

primatene.com/doc/PrimateneMistCFCInformatio…

Edited: 02 February 2012, 13:48
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are asthma inhalers available over the counter?

Thanks everyone!

And bilmin09, asthma can be very serious, especially if your lungs have collapsed. I need an inhaler on me 24/7 and am still very fit - a huge amount of people are the same.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are asthma inhalers available over the counter?

FYI, Primatene's active ingredient is ephinephrin which is of very limited effectiveness for asthma. The OP is asking for a albuterol which comes in various formulations, all requiring a prescription in the US. Albuterol is the drug of choice for what is commonly reffered to as a "rescue inhaler" in the US