We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to give address to taxi driver

London, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
best way to give address to taxi driver

We are staying at" the hotel at times square" , 59 west 46th street just of 6th ave , what would be the best way to say the address to our taxi driver , as i understand they like it said in a particular way ,don`t want to get it wrong. only a small thing but want to get it right , thanks all .

Mark

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to give address to taxi driver

That's perfect. You want to deliver three key elements:

What NUMBER (59)

What STREET (including direction - so "West 46th Street)

What CROSS STREET (off Sixth Avenue)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,831 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to give address to taxi driver

I'd say 46th between 5th & 6th ave. When you get closer, if he asks, you say 59 west.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to give address to taxi driver

I've had best lucking giving them an intersection. When you get close, have them let you out at your exact address or be prepared to walk a few steps. When I give just an address I often get a blank stare.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to give address to taxi driver

That hotel is close enough to 6thave that if you say 49th street and 6th avenue you will get close enough. It really depends on which way the traffic goes on 46th and which way you are coming from. If you are coming from the airports you probably will be coming from uptown going down 5th and if you can take a right on 46th he can drop you right in front of the hotel--- if not then he has to go around the block on 45th and over to 6th which goes uptown for one block . Most places like that he has been there before so he will know the exact address once you give him the cross streets

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to give address to taxi driver

Since 46th Street runs east, I would say "46th Street between Sixth and Fifth", putting the Avenues in that order because as you drive east on 46th Street you will come to Sixth first, and then Fifth. As you get closer, you could say "it is #59 on the left, just past the store with the red awning."

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to give address to taxi driver

Interesting, I also stick with intersections and cross-streets, and only mention building number as I approach a location.

Just say "46th St bwn 6th and 5th Avenues, please" (I'm sure if you say "5th and 6th Avenues", that will be acceptable, too.)

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to give address to taxi driver

You will get a quote of the flat rate from the attendant at the airport arrivals taxi queue. Just confirm it with the driver. Then just tell him the name of your hotel, the address, the cross streets (as mentioned above). Ask if he knows where it is... especially if he does not have a gps in view. Once assured... let him choose the route and sit back, relax & enjoy the ride.

London, United...
Level Contributor
353 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to give address to taxi driver

With your accent, most taxi drivers won't have a clue what your saying anyway, as english isn't their 1st language. Keep it dead simple, just say stuff like ''Times Square please'' or ''we'd like to go to Battery Park....and step on it.''

:)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,315 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to give address to taxi driver

NO, do not say Times Square please since Times Square is an area NOT a specific street. Besides, the number of hotels who advertise as being in Times square is so large you could end up blocks and blocks from your destination,

Also, loose the "step on it" you have watched too many TV shows and movies and it is a rude, unnecessary comment to make!

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way to give address to taxi driver

Wow no wonder Americans think Brits are rude!