We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which tunnel?

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Topic
Which tunnel?

Am leaving from West 52nd street towards Philadelphia during the week after 9.30.

Google maps tells me to take the Holland Tunnel while my Tom Tom Gps tells me to take the Lincoln Tunnel, which to me made the most sense.

So what do New Yorkers suggest? Thanks

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which tunnel?

Is Philadelphia your destination? If so, forget the car and take a train.

www.amtrak.com

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which tunnel?

Yes, the train is definitely the fastest and easiest way to go to Philadelphia.

From West 52nd Street, go down 9th Avenue and follow the signs for the Lincoln Tunnel. I don't know why google maps is sending you down to the Holland Tunnel. The goal is always to get out of Manhattan the quickest and fastest way.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which tunnel?

Hola.

We drive to/from Philly a few times each year to visit friends and usually take the Holland Tunnel because it provides a faster route to the Turnpike and costs a little less in Turnpike tolls than taking the Lincoln Tunnel. That said, we recommend that just before you start-out, determine the traffic reports to see if there are delays at the Lincoln versus Holland tunnels (the delays can be significantly different) and use the fastest exit. When driving, it usually takes us less than 2 hours each way.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Edited: 02 February 2012, 23:44
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which tunnel?

Matt:

You're leaving from the Village, where the Holland makes the most sense. The OP is leaving from W. 52nd Street, so the Lincoln makes more sense, barring heavier delays there than at the Holland.

BTW - The toll is HIGHER from the Holland Tunnel than the Lincoln unless you use the Pulaski Skyway rather than the NJ Turnpike after you exit the tunnel. People familiar with this setup will do so, but someone who isn't will (and should) get on the Turnpike right away after exiting the Holland Tunnel.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which tunnel?

Hola AH,

Exactly so, which is why most folks take the Pulasky...just as fast and no toll until the link-up to the Turnpike further south. In any case, when the Holland is clogged we do take the Lincoln tunnel (and vice versa), but the the Holland is usually the faster exit.

CH

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which tunnel?

At the time of day you are leaving, The Lincoln Tunnel would be the fastest route with minimal headaches........

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which tunnel?

Good luck...

CH

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which tunnel?

No train since Philly is not the final destination.

Thanks for all the hints, guess Lincoln tunnel it is.

Btw, are most of the toll booths staffed or automated?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which tunnel?

I find that at the Holland you really need to know how to enter it as there are a few entrances where you can wait in very bad traffic also they often close the best entrances without warning--- a local can figure it out but for a visitor it could be a nightmare

Regardless of that for this OP the Lincoln is the first and only choice.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which tunnel?

Good news for you about the tunnels. The tolls are one way and are collected on inbound traffic only.