We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help understanding metrocard

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
need help understanding metrocard

My husband and I will be visiting New York for a week in June. Trying to figure out the subway transportation. He has never ridden the subway. I know a little about it. Would we benefit from the 7-day metrocard or pay as we go. Plan to at least use the subway once a day to/from. As I understand it, the 7-day unlimited pass is 29.00 versus 5.00 per person to/from. Help....am I understanding this correctly? Also, does this metrocard also cover the bus? Could I use it more than once per day at this price. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help understanding metrocard

An unlimited Metrocard is.....unlimited. You can use it as many times as you like during its 7 day validity. You do need to wait 18 minutes between uses. You can also use it on the buses. Each person will need a separate unlimited card. They're $29.00 each for the week.

The pay per ride cards, which can be shared, cost $2.25 per ride, with a 7% bonus if you put more than $10.00 on the card.

If you'll be here for a week you'll undoubtedly get greater value, not to mention greater convenience, from having the unlimited cards. It's highly unlikely that you'll just use them "to and from." Rather, you'll find yourself using them many times each day.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: need help understanding metrocard

thanks for your help AudenHoggart. Very well explained......my only other ? is that I don't quite understand the (18 Minutes between uses). Thank you.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help understanding metrocard

The "18-minutes between uses" is the MTA's methodd to make it difficult for more than 1 person to use the "unlimited" Metrocard (which is the intended limit).

CH

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: need help understanding metrocard

Thank you CasaHoffa for your reply. Now, couldn't I go through with the card(leaving my hubby on the other side) and once on the other side, hand him the card and he wait 18 minutes, then come through and join me? Can people do this..........does people do this? Is it possible?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help understanding metrocard

I think you could do it....but would you really consider waiting 20 minutes EVERY TIME you wanted to get the subway, just to save $29 over a week?!

Edited: 03 February 2012, 05:47
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help understanding metrocard

Post 5 is correct. If you want to waste loads of time you could share a card. ( although if a police officer saw you doing it I do not know if they would intervene or not) Also realize the wait time doesn't hold for a transfer. So, if you take a subway, and then want to immediately transfer to a bus you could. The assumption here is that it is the same traveler. ( besides, odds are you will have used up most of the wait time while riding the subway)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need help understanding metrocard

If you hopped on a bus, wouldn’t you EACH need a ticket? I never caught a bus when I was there so I don’t know how it works but I assume each person would have to show/validate a ticket and therefore, having the 1 ticket between 2+ people wouldn’t be accepted?

It’s $58/week ($29 each) or $8.28/day ($4.14 each) for unlimited subway and bus access.

Believe me as a tourist and all the locals when they say it is well worth it. You will more than likely use it A LOT more than you think.

If you are actually asking a serious question about whether or not you can just wait 18mins between each of you entering the subway platforms so you could get away with just ONE ticket all up, I can tell you the opinion of 99% of posters on here will be that it is not worth wasting hours of your time in NYC to save $29.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: need help understanding metrocard

Let me redeem myself. I would'nt do that to save 29.00......See post #3 in answer to my ? of why l8 minutes. I was just saying that some people might do that. My hubby and I are getting on in years and don't have l8 minutes to waste.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need help understanding metrocard

Hola DR.

Yes, you could hand the card to your husband for his use too, but in so doing you both would be breaking the law, and if caught would pay a hefty fine....certainly costing you more than $29. And even if you were not fined, do you really want to spend 20 extra minutes each time you take a subway? and how are you going to take a bus?

CH

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need help understanding metrocard

Then buy two cards, end of discussion. We here on TA are all unpaid volunteers, and we don't have a lot of time to waste answering needless and pointless speculative questions, either.