We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return to New York City & maybe tag on a beach holiday??

LiverpoolBP
Level Contributor
185 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Return to New York City & maybe tag on a beach holiday??

Hello Folks

Wonder if you can help, I am a first time poster to this forum.

First off some background info.

The first time we arrived in New York City was at the end of November beginning of December 2001. My husband booked 5 nights in NYC & 5 nights in Las Vegas for my 50th Birthday! We were a wee bit nervous flying over to NYC, it was so soon after 9/11 and there were many empty seats on board. It turned out to be one of the best holidays of our lives!

I absolutely loved NYC, loved Vegas as well! But to me NYC was special and so were the people. NYC reminded me of our City back home (Liverpool, England) but on a grander scale! I have so many good memories of that time. We took lots of warm clothing to wear, I couldn’t believe the weather at the beginning of December we were strolling around Central Park in jeans and tea shirts it was so warm!

A couple of days before we left for Vegas my husband bought me a lovely bracelet for my birthday from a Jeweller’s called Martinique’s. I think it was on 7th Avenue in the Times Square area, wonder if it’s still there!

But I digress too much, my husband & I are approaching another mile stone in our lives we will be 40 years married this September (I still adore him!) and we were thinking we would like to return to New York City for 5 nights in September, and then maybe chilling out with a 9 or 10 days beach holiday.

Are there any nice beaches that aren’t too far from New York? And if not we don’t mind hopping on a plane (not too long a flight though!) Where do New Yorkers go to in America for their beach holidays? We aim to try and cram in all the sights that we missed on our first trip to NYC so we would be looking to chill at a nice beach front location somewhere laid back amongst nice people.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you for taking the time & the trouble to read this post!

NY
Level Contributor
794 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Return to New York City & maybe tag on a beach holiday??

People in NY go either to long island (i.e. the hamptons) or the Jersey Shore to hit the beach on week-ends. September is a bit hit or miss as far as beach weather. If you go post labor day, you will get cheaper prices as the summer season is over by labor day.

If you want to guarantee good weather, you can fly to miami. 2.5 hours from new york.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Return to New York City & maybe tag on a beach holiday??

do you mean a US beach holiday or a Caribbean beach holiday? For 10 days, I would be thinking Caribbean or Central America outside the hurricane belt - not a beach here in September when the weather could be iffy. Usually a week or 2 after Labor Day are still nice, but last summer I thought that and sat on the beach in a sweatshirt and leggings. You can definitely find off season rentals, or hotels in a place like Montauk might be nice.

There are a lot of great southern Caribbean islands - or a place like Panama, not impacted by hurricanes.

If you give us more info, I can make better recommendations.

suitcaseready.com

LiverpoolBP
Level Contributor
185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Return to New York City & maybe tag on a beach holiday??

mmmmpppp

Thank you for your reply, our Wedding Anniversay falls on 23rd September. When does labor day fall please?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Return to New York City & maybe tag on a beach holiday??

Sept. is a tricky time to do what you're suggesting. It's gorgeous weather here then (my anniversary is also in Sept.) but hotel prices in Manhattan are quite high then, esp. mid Sept. when the UN General Assembly starts up and later in the month, you're not guaranteed of beach weather. If you could come the last week in August for the Manhattan portion and then head to the beach first week of Sept., that might work better. Labor Day (first Mon. in Sept.) is our bank holiday weekend that marks the end of the official summer season so beach areas like the Hamptons are much less crowded and a BIT less expensive. The challenge for a beach vacation near NYC is price (hotels are expensive) and more importantly, if you don't want to drive, finding a place within walking distance of both beach and town is a challenge.

I'm afraid if you haven't been since 2001, you may get sticker shock. Post back with info on budget and whether you're willing to drive.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Return to New York City & maybe tag on a beach holiday??

edit from above:

Labor Day (first Mon. in Sept.) is our bank holiday weekend that marks the end of the official summer season so beach areas like the Hamptons are much less crowded and a BIT less expensive..... AFTER THAT weekend. This year it falls on the 3rd of Sept. so try to go to the beach after that. In addtion to the Hamptons, Montauk and the Jersey Shore, Fire Island, a barrier island off the south coast of Long Island (you take a train and ferry to get there) is another option. Although there are limited hotels there, there are a few. While I haven't been, the Palms looks like one of the best options but Fire Island is pretty quiet. If you're looking for lots of activities, it may not be the best place for you.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g48317-d618098-…

There are lots of places you could fly to for a beach vacation from NYC. In addtion to Miami (and I like flying into Ft. Lauderdale better, whether you stay in Miami or elsewhere) there's also the outer banks in North Carolina

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g616326-Outer_Banks_…

or go to Savannah, Ga., a charming southern city and spend some time on Tybee Island mixing city and beach.

LiverpoolBP
Level Contributor
185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Return to New York City & maybe tag on a beach holiday??

Thank you nywhiz.

I am going to google some of your suggestions.

LiverpoolBP
Level Contributor
185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Return to New York City & maybe tag on a beach holiday??

Evening, we were thinking more of a US beach holiday.

We spent two weeks in Play Del carmen, Mexico in December.

LiverpoolBP
Level Contributor
185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Return to New York City & maybe tag on a beach holiday??

nywhiz we didnt really want to drive, my husband drives for a living in England, and I am nervous driving abroad. By the way what is sticker shock?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Return to New York City & maybe tag on a beach holiday??

keep hurricane season in mind for FL, Outer banks and coastal areas of GA.

Most group house seasons in Fire Island and the Hamptons run through the weekend after Labor Day. Then the owners come out to clean but you may be able to find something. The rates dont really dip until that 2nd weekend after Labor Day.

hurricanes are hit and miss, but with the way the weather has been lately, I wouldnt book anything in those areas (without a fall back place to stay, as in my apartment, not a last minute hotel in NYC)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Return to New York City & maybe tag on a beach holiday??

Sticker Shock means high prices (higher than you expect).

First, you have to decide WHEN you want to do this which will make a big difference in prices and options. The length of rentals for group houses have little to do with hotels or inns that you're likely to use and it's just not true that "most" group houses go an extra week. That may be totally irrelevant if you want to come end of Sept. anyway. But end of Sept. is not the time for a guaranteed beach holiday in the NYC area. While it's true that is the beginning of hurricane season, we have been lucky in the last few years in that dept.