We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SoHo/Chinatown/TriBeCa area hotels May 25-28

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
949 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
SoHo/Chinatown/TriBeCa area hotels May 25-28

Hi. I’m planning my second trip to NYC over May 24-28 (five nights...the 28th is Memorial Day). I think I want to stay in the band of Manhattan vaguely around Greenwich Village, SoHo, Chinatown…that broad general area. Kind of between Houston & Canal but that's not absolute. Ideally I’d like to keep my hotel budget $1200 or under but am willing to spend a little more (say up to $1500) before taxes if need be.

I’m looking for location more than luxury and I don’t mind something that’s in need of updating and has few amenities. I don’t have high expectations for $1200 for 5 nights. It seems like being close to that group of Canal street stations between Broadway & Centre might be handy and I’d like a hotel pretty near where there are some things going on at night but not all bars full of 21 year olds (I'm 50ish). I’m going to want to do a little bar hopping one night and I don’t think I want to try to navigate the subway after I’ve had a few. And not fancy bars. Beer & a shot type places and restaurants with paper napkins. If that means I should be staying in a different area entirely, let me know.

Is it too early to be looking for good rates for late May? I have fully cancellable reservations (all rates shown before taxes) at the following:

Sheraton TriBeCa (Canal & Wooster) - $1185

Solito/Solita Hotel (Lafayette & Grand) - $1069

Hampton Inn SoHo (Watts betw. 6th & Varick) - $1205

I’m not making a lot of firm plans. I want to spend at least one day in Brooklyn (Green-Wood Cemetery, Barcade, that other bar I've seen Mel mention that's right by the subway stop. The one with the pinball machines). I may or may not go to a show. Thinking about the Merchant’s House Museum. Maybe Brooklyn Flea/Smorgasburg. Wander around and shop and eat and drink.

Suggestions and recommendations welcome.

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SoHo/Chinatown/TriBeCa area hotels May 25-28

Best location is Solita Hotel. Nicest immediate surrounding neighborhood, convenient to restaurtants in Nolita, lower east side, etc.. Sheraton Tribeca is even more convenient to Chinatown, Tribeca and Soho, but in busy (and not so glamorous) heart of Canal street. Hampton Inn is somewhat isolated near tunnel entrance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SoHo/Chinatown/TriBeCa area hotels May 25-28

Look at the Best Western Hanbee Bowery, the Mulberry Hotel, the Four Points Soho and the Courtyard Soho. The Canal Park Inn might also interest you.

I'd book something cancelable. Since that's a holiday weekend, you may find specials at some of the trendier boutique hotels closer to the trip on travelzoo.com or as a secret sale on quikbook.com

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SoHo/Chinatown/TriBeCa area hotels May 25-28

I would reco The Smyth or the Cosmopolitan in Tribeca. Granted they are decidedly below Canal Street, but they are near a wide variety of great bars for "grown ups," and lots of shopping and subway access.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
949 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SoHo/Chinatown/TriBeCa area hotels May 25-28

mmmmpppp, I've scratched The Hampton Inn since that's how I felt about the area when I street-viewed it.

nywiz, I almost added a list of hotels I'd already researched and rejected but decided not to in case I'd crossed something off the list for a non-valid reason. I'm going to take another look at the ones you mentioned and see if any look better to me since you've "approved" them.

qb, Smyth is a little more than I want to spend (looks really nice though and I'll watch for a sale there) but I hadn't come across The Cosmopolitan in my research. I replaced the Hampton Inn reservation with The Cosmo. for an irresistible $1086 and that includes the taxes. If I don't stay there this year it's definitely on the short list for the next trip.

I'm glad no one has tried to talk me out of the Solita. That was the first place I picked and I loved that area when I was there last summer.

Edited: 06 February 2012, 20:01
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SoHo/Chinatown/TriBeCa area hotels May 25-28

I almost tried to talk you out of it, but the location is good and the rooms themselves don't look bad. It's just the building that's unappealing.

I think the Four Points Soho is cheaper than the Cosmo. Look on booking.com

The Best Western Hanbee is just east of the Solita and imo nicer.

http://g.co/maps/t6daa

oyster.com/new-york-city/…

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SoHo/Chinatown/TriBeCa area hotels May 25-28

Cool! It's pretty no-frills, but it's a great location at a great price.

Worthwhile bars and pubs nearby include:

Mudville 9 - best hot wings and lots of beer! Across the street from The Cosmo Hotel.

Brick NYC - made-to-order thin crust pizzas, decent wines, music downstairs.

Reade Street Pub - classic Irish-American. Nice hamburgers. Last original Law and Order epsiode filmed here.

Eammon's - pub restaurant

Woolworth Kitchen - in first floor of the Woolworth Building. Very nice place, actually.

Dakota Roadhouse - mostly contruction workers from WTC.

The Patriot - total dive bar. Makes Hooters look like Le Cirque.

Raccoon Lodge - another divey place, beer, no frills, construction guys.

Sazon - Puerto Rican food and loud happy hours!

Ward III - Somewhat gourmet food and drinks, but laid back.

There's plenty more as you get into Tribeca, or go towards Wall Street.

Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
507 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SoHo/Chinatown/TriBeCa area hotels May 25-28

We are staying in that area next month. I have reservations at the Solita and will be sure to report back if we stay there. We got a rate of $115 a night; so far nothing can beat that for value although I am considering the Best Western as they have a good price today on booking.com.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
949 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SoHo/Chinatown/TriBeCa area hotels May 25-28

nywiz, I looked again at all the places you mentioned and for one reason or another still ruled them out. Some were more than I want to pay and I'm hoping to put less wear & tear on my feet this time (I'm not used to so much walking) and don't want to be more than a block or two from the subway. Thanks again for taking the time to make suggestions.

gb, thanks for all the great recos in the Cosmo neighborhood. I like my dive bars but the Patriot would be a little over the top for me, I think. The Raccoon Lodge sounds like it's more my speed. I love super thin crust wood fired pizza and can't wait to have some somewhere. I usually get my fix for that at this Italian joint across from The Hyatt in Milwaukee when I'm there. It sounds like you know that area pretty well. Do you have any recommendations for a hair salon around there?

Suzy, please keep me posted on which hotel you decide on and how it turns out for you.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SoHo/Chinatown/TriBeCa area hotels May 25-28

jane235, I've worked near City Hall/WTC for over 20 years, and throughout all the changes in the area, I still love it!

The only hair salon in the area I know of is the one my co-workers go to: Tortola.

yelp.com/biz/tortola-hair-salon-new-york-2

…citysearch.com/profile/…tortola_salon.html

It's in the heart of trendy Tribeca, in the old industrial section. My coworkers have been loyal clients for years and will not go anywhere else. (I go to Y Gallery Salon in Soho, btw.)

Yeah, The Patriot scares me! ;o)

There are lots of cute and delish eateries around here, too. I'll try to dig up an old list of mine.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SoHo/Chinatown/TriBeCa area hotels May 25-28

There are loads of hair salons near there including QB's.

http://g.co/maps/dwae7