We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lower east side Sun 8th April

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
411 reviews
Save Topic
Lower east side Sun 8th April

Hi everyone

Currently (past few weeks -lol !) putting together my itinerary for our trip this coming April (6-13) and just read on a recent post that this is Passover . Was planning on walking the LES on the

Sun 8th taking in Katz Deli,Yonah Schimmels , Tenement Museum and Eldridge museum - will everything be closed on the Sunday ? - if so was planning maybe during the week ??

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,044 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lower east side Sun 8th April

Katz's is not kosher, and so should be open. Yonah Schimmel's is kosher, and will be closed. The Tenement Museum will be open. Eldridge Street might be.

Any food place that will be closed because of the holiday will be closed for the entire week. Some stores will be open from Sunday through Thursday, but others will close for the entire week.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lower east side Sun 8th April

Passover can be thought of in 3 sections: The first two holy days Friday April 6 at Sunset to Sunday April 8 at sunset; the 4 regular days, then two more holy days: Thursday April 12 @ sunset to Saturday April 14 @ sunset. But even during the non-holy days almost no food places will be open if they are Kosher because it's too difficult to get rid of the bread for those days. That said: I believe that some glatt kosher restaurants will be open in the Garment District and in Borough Park those 4 regular days. Katz's is very un-kosher so it will almost certainly be open. Yonah Schimmels and any bakeries will be closed. I'd check the web sites of the museums; I'd bet they are open.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lower east side Sun 8th April

thanks guys - much appreciated

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lower east side Sun 8th April

With that being said, if any kosher restaurant is open for Passover (and is kosher for Passover), I recommend avoiding it unless you are specifically in NYC because of Passover and keep kosher. Lines and waits are likely to be very long, and service will suffer as a result. And kosher for Passover food is not generally known for being great restaurant cuisine - better to go back to those places after Passover has ended.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,044 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lower east side Sun 8th April

I agree with NooYawkuh.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lower east side Sun 8th April

Just to be sure you're under no false illusions, Shalavesny, Lower East Side is no longer the solid Jewish area it once was. All the Jewish bookshops and Judaica shops have closed, there is one new Jewish bakery which opend just a few years ago, and very few kosher eateries.

There has been a recent revival of two or three of the old synagogues (which will definitely be open on that Sunday LOL) and there is also a recently formed LES Jewish Coservancy society at http://www.lesjc.org and I believe they organise tours of Jewish interest. There are still a few of the old Jewish businesses in LES, one of which ironically is a funeral director!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lower east side Sun 8th April

MartyCR,

The neighborhood has certainly changed, but one can still see parts of the history if you know where to look. If you want to learn about the history, try one of these walking tours of the Lower East Side: www.tenement.org/tours.php…

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lower east side Sun 8th April

Thanks so much guys for all your advice - would have loved to have tried the LES eats - but will still try Katz as we didnt manage to get to LES last time we came - defo want to do Tenement and Eldridge museums - anyone in the know about Russ and Daughters being open ?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,044 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lower east side Sun 8th April

Russ and Daughters is not kosher - they'll be open, but may have shortened hours on some days. Check the website.

10. Re: Lower east side Sun 8th April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2013, 10:25