We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beyond shopping?

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
110 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Beyond shopping?

My son will be visiting NYC with a handful of his classmates for their senior high school trip at the end of April. Much of their itinerary seems to include hours of random shopping at South Street Seaport, Times Square, and down 5th Avenue. Is there anything along these routes that might be a little more interesting for teenage boys?

Corner Bookstore
Gift & Speciality Shops
kate spade
Gift & Speciality Shops
Zabar's
Gift & Speciality Shops
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,187 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beyond shopping?

I wouldn't recommend leaving the group, but if you are looking for suggestions for the group...

Walking distance from The Seaport is

1) Brooklyn Bridge (walkway entrance by city hall)

2) Staten Island Ferry (with view of the Statue of Liberty)

3) NYSE & federal plaza (the nations first capital)

Walking Distance from Times Square is

1) Bryant Park -NY Public Library

2) Grand Central Station

3) United Nations

Walking Distance from 5th ave Shopping-

1) Rockefeller Center

2) Columbus Circle

3) Central Park

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,565 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York, NY
Level Contributor
639 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beyond shopping?

Is it worth asking whoever planned the trip why they chose these locations? And why they just want to go shopping? There's so much more to do...

Times Square is a lot of touristy shopping. 5th Avenue tends to be more upscale, but I'm not sure a teenage boy would find it interesting (except for places like the Nike Store).

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beyond shopping?

The intrepid museum and Concorde may be of interest but it is not exactly close to times sq but any easy bus journey. My 15 yr old nephew loved it and TOTR. Will they be able to go off on their own though?

There are great views from south st seaport but teenagers maybe don't quite appreciate this.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,089 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beyond shopping?

MTI ... why wouldn't you suggest a group of 18yos split off from the group? I mean, I expect it to be pre-arranged with a planned time to meet up again, but at if they are seniors in high school they're probably all 18 or close to it and many may be on their own in a few months when they get to college, perhaps even a New York City college.

I'm just very curious about your comment.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beyond shopping?

Depending on how much time they have, from the Seaport they could easily walk around the financial district, see the bull on Broadway, and the Museum of the American Indian at Bowling Green (free entry). Make sure they have a map because the street layout down there is not a grid. The Downtown Alliance has a lot of info on its website:

http://www.downtownny.com/

For a hidden gem near the Seaport, the Elevated Acre is a few blocks away at 55 Water Street (look for the escalators). It's just a park, but high above the river with great views and across the street from the infernal helicopter pad. The web site is just for people who want to rent the space, but here's an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRupTt94xGA

(It's prettier than this video makes it look)

There is a free shuttle bus that makes a circuit around the downtown area, but just following the water around part of the island is a nice walk if the weather's good

downtownny.com/getting-around/downtown-conne…

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,187 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beyond shopping?

Forgotmypword-

I could have worded that differently, but I was primarly suggesting- a) Consent, and b) inclusion (maybe others would like to join).

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,089 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beyond shopping?

Ahh ... makes perfect sense. We are definitely on the same page there. Thanks MTI ...

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
110 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beyond shopping?

I should have mentioned that the group has also planned to take the ferry to Statue of Liberty and/or Ellis Island, see the Empire State building, 9/11 Memorial, and see a play. But their single whole day is all about shopping and dinner at, of course, The Hard Rock Cafe. Thanks for the alternate suggestions!

9. Re: Beyond shopping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2013, 10:19