We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas dinner in NYC

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
christmas dinner in NYC

I know it is a bit early to be asking the question but need to decide tonight if going to book flights with air miles or delay our flight till Christmas day itself

Where is good to eat on Christmas Day with an 11yr old. Looking to stay at Millenium Hilton - have phoned the hotel this year the restaurant was open with Christmas menu $65

Any view very very much appreciated

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas dinner in NYC

You've really given us nothing to answer. What food do you want to eat? What ambiance do you want? What's your budget? I, myself, on Christmas Day, order Chinese takeout. Is that what you had in mind? If not, give us something more to work with.

Or, you could search one of the thousands of posts that already exist on Christmas dinner and see what the answers have been in the past. Places won't announce that they're open on Christmas until about 30 days in advance, so you'll be guessing based on previous year's openings and prices anyway.

Ireland
Level Contributor
924 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas dinner in NYC

I've never been in NYC for Christmas Day so can't give precise information, but I can say with reasonable certainty that you will be able to eat in the city on that day! Are you looking for what would be traditional in Scotland on the day, or just nice food? Turkey and ham isn't really traditional Christmas Day fare in the USA, but you will probably be able to get it. There are loads of threads here on the forum about Christmas Day meals from December last year and most of the information would probably apply to the coming Chrostmas too.

Edited: 15 February 2012, 18:17
New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: christmas dinner in NYC

BrooklynBrdge: Ordering Chinese takeout is not good enough for a real celebration. Rumor has it that one must also visit a movie theater.

New Bedford...
Level Contributor
72 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: christmas dinner in NYC

I have not been on exactly Christmas Day, but any time during the Christmas season the Rock Center Cafe at Rockefeller where you can see the ice rink and all the decorations/tree while you are eating is fun with a child. They are open on Christmas Day, not sure how far in advance reservations would be needed though! We've had reservations and needed them every time we've been.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,217 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: christmas dinner in NYC

You will definitely be able to find something of whatever quality/price range you seek - there will be a lot of options beyond hotel restaurants and Chinese. More and more is open every year.

Did you look into the air miles yet? Usually 12/15 - 1/4 is blacked out, even on the so called no-black out date airline affinity credit cards. I used to fly on Christmas Day a lot because it wasnt blacked out, but most US airlines changed that a few years ago.

In case black out is a US term, it means the days when you cant use frequent flier or air miles.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 15 February 2012, 18:34
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: christmas dinner in NYC

NooYawkuh: I'm not a Christian, but half of my family is, so the Chinese food is in preparation for the train trip up to Westchester to see Grandma. We see a movie either the night before or the next day. :)

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: christmas dinner in NYC

Thanks all really helpful - Have just booked flights with Virgin Air miles ( not black out dates and got upper class seats too) so definitely out for Christmas arriving on 22nd December.

Really not too bothered about traditional Turkey Ham Christmas dinner and to be honest would probably prefer to go a bit further afield that hotel because the prices there are likely to be inflated. Good quality nice meal dont want to pay a fortune and be ripped off but equally well it is Christmas.

Will also check out the Rockafellar and hadn't thought about chinese. Relieved to hear though there are options, any other suggestions very welcome

thanks

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: christmas dinner in NYC

Rockefeller

Minnesota
Level Contributor
356 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: christmas dinner in NYC

We will be in NYC over Christmas as well, and have done a "big city" Christmas trip a couple other times over the past few years with our boys -- Boston and D.C. In Boston we had Christmas dinner in Chinatown and the boys (one about your son's age at that time) loved it, and already have asked if we can have our Christmas dinner in Chinatown in NYC this time! In D.C., we did the hotel dinner on Christmas, as we arrived late after flight delays, on Christmas Day evening, and it was not nearly as memorable as our Chinese holiday meal.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,032 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: christmas dinner in NYC

I'm not sure why you're "looking to stay at the Millenium Hilton." It's a nice hotel but directly next to the construction at the World Trade Center and in the financial district which can be cold, windy and not very active at Xmas time. It may also be pretty dead on Xmas day. I'd try to stay elsewhere.

There are LOADS of places open for Xmas meals.

opentable.com

is one place to look although this far in advance, there may be nothing listed. The Park Room at the Helmsley Park Lane hotel across from the south end of Central Park has been popular in past years.