We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I spend one of my NYC days in Niagara?

Greenwich, London
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Should I spend one of my NYC days in Niagara?

Im in NYC for a week this April and I am umming and arring about spending a day a Niagara falls (flying at 6.30 am and returning at 11pm) I was in NYC for a week last year as well.

Any thoughts anyone?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I spend one of my NYC days in Niagara?

I wouldnt personally

Its a very long day and Niagra isnt really a day trip in any event

Plenty to see in NYC

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,594 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I spend one of my NYC days in Niagara?

Yes, as long as you are flying it's fine, be sure to go over to the Canadian side, it is much nicer than NY side.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I spend one of my NYC days in Niagara?

It's do-able, but practical to do Niagara for a day. If something happens and you have to stay in Niagara you have to deal with hotels etc and you'll lose a day in NY.C.

Greenwich, London
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I spend one of my NYC days in Niagara?

Thanks for your thoughts so far guys.

Karenjme - thats the feeling i have in the pit of my stomach if i get stuck in niagara and lose any more NYC days i'd cry! But i dont know what the chance of that happening is..!

Stamford...
Level Contributor
825 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I spend one of my NYC days in Niagara?

Since you were in the city for seven days last year, you know best if you can afford to skip one day this year. If you've got the energy, the money, and like nature at all, it's something to see. I like the view from the Canadian side, but I also like walking around Goat Island on the American side. The rapids are amazing.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I spend one of my NYC days in Niagara?

If rushing water turns you on go for it--- for me for the time and expense I would just stick my head under the shower and get the same sensation--- but that is why there are city mice and country mice... I wouldn't go across the street to see the falls you may find it inspiring

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I spend one of my NYC days in Niagara?

The chances are good that you would not make it back. 1) If you go into Canada, the Rainbow Bridge could be backed up in either or both directions. 2) The Airport is not around the corner; it's 25 miles away in Buffalo. 3) Have you figured out how you are getting from BUF to Niagara Falls? Renting a car? taking a taxi (internationally?); walking over the Rainbow Bridge from the US side, staying on the US side?

I'd vote for taking a vacation in Toronto, the Shaw Festival at Niagara-on-the-Lake or the Shakespeare Festival at Stratford, ON, and visiting Niagara Falls then.

From New York, it's like saying "I'm visiting London, but want to spend a day in Berlin", but without reliable public transport at one end.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I spend one of my NYC days in Niagara?

You could still have a lot of snow up north in April. I just wouldnt take the chance of doing a one-day to Niagara.

It's just a lot of water rushing over a lot of rocks.

water/rocks.....nice dinner/show in NYC....no brainer (for me).

I lived in NYC until end-Oct 2011 when I moved to Arizona. My biggest regret is that I never really took advantage of what NYC has to offer.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I spend one of my NYC days in Niagara?

Why Niagara? After all, it isn't as if it were something nearby; it is about as far from NYC as Glasgow is from London. Do you consider a jaunt to Glasgow to be a day trip? Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington are all much closer (and Niagara is closer to Detroit than it is to NTC.)

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I spend one of my NYC days in Niagara?

Niagra Falls is kinda awe-inspiring in the same way the Grand Canyon is awe-inspiring. That said, how long can you look at rushing water..or a big whole in the ground?

IMHO, it's one of those things that should be seen if you get the chance but I don't know that I would go far out of my way.

Both places , we stopped because we were on our way to somewhere else. Glad I saw the Falls but after the first few minutes, it was..a...little...boring