We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at LGA -- is it safe?

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Parking at LGA -- is it safe?

I am not reashing the safety question. This is something different and very specific. I am am going on vacation out of La Guardia and was wondering if anyone has experience parking there for several days? I have a nice car (think german engineered). Would you leave your car in a lot for 4 or 5 days?

I have taken it to LGA on many occasions while picking someone up, but never for more than few hours at a time and never overnight.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking at LGA -- is it safe?

Why would anyone want to harm your Volkswagen ? And if you are from NY as you indicate why on earth would you leave your car in a garage at the airport ?

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking at LGA -- is it safe?

Well, I proudly drive an American engineered car and last weekend parked it at the Hampton Inn LaGuardia parking lot next to a Jaguar. I parked it on Thursday afternoon and returned to it on Sunday evening and it was just fine as was the Jag next to me and a German engineered vehicle now snugly (too snugly) parked on the other side. Moms

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking at LGA -- is it safe?

Sorry if I was not clear. I live in New York and am going on vacation with my familly for a few days. I have a reasonably nice car. (i.e. not a wreck) I am thinking of driving to the airport instead of taking a car service as I usually do in such circumstances. I would be leaving the car in the parking lot at LGA while going away, for a few days.

bilmin09, I hope this clarifies the question. As to why would someone want to harm a VW, I really don't know. That is exactly my question. Would anyone likely want to do this?

momstravel, I am not familiar with the Hampton inn parking lot. I think I have seen the Hampton inn across the GCP from LGA. Do they have parking facilities available to non guests? Do I take it from your reply that you feel that this is safer than the lot at LGA proper in front of the terminal? Cheaper? Is there a shuttle bus?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking at LGA -- is it safe?

At home do you park on the street or in a garage-- I find the local garages much more likely to cause damage than the airport garages where you self park and can put it close to the elevator most of the time.

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking at LGA -- is it safe?

At home, it's a mix of both. I usually park on the street if I go out, but during the day I have to park in a garage. And yes, I agree. parking garages do cause a lot of damage.

I was more concerned about someone trying to break into the car. Some of these LGA parking garages seem pretty deserted in the evening, and I can only imagine how empty they must be at 3:30am when there have not been flights coming in for several hours.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking at LGA -- is it safe?

There is a parking structure at the Hampton Inn that is shared with the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel (formerly the Crown Plaza). It is self-park. I have parked there for years for up to 9 days. It is $15.00 per day for non-guests. You simply park your car, walk to the lobby of either hotel and either wait for the free shuttle or, as was the case last Thursday, after a few minute wait, I went to the desk clerk and requested the shuttle. I waited approximately 10 minutes for the shuttle. When I returned on Sunday, I picked up the courtesy phone, dialed the Hampton Inn and within 10 minutes the shuttle picked us up. Very easy. Again, I have used this garage for years. No guarantees you won't get a ding in your door or worse but I have always had good luck here. Moms

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,939 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking at LGA -- is it safe?

Dollar Rent-A-Car also provides an indoor parking garage (VALET only) 24/7 at their location across from the airport with shuttle service. You can even reserve a parking spot in advance, which I would recomend, as I frequently see the "FULL" sign blocking their driveway!

http://www.parkingatlaguardia.com/

Edited: 15 February 2012, 21:59
NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking at LGA -- is it safe?

Thanks so much for the dollar rent-a-car information, I will use it someday. Unfortunately it is already fully booked for this week-end. :-(

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking at LGA -- is it safe?

It is very unlikely that anything would happen to your car. I bet thousands of people park there with no problems at all.

And every lot has a person there 24 hours/day. And it's hard to get into an Airport lot without having one's own car because it's at the Airport and not on, say, Pitkin Avenue or Queens Blvd.

It's an odd question because there is nothing inherently risky in an Airport parking lot. I bet you park on the street once in awhile, and any crazy person can run a knife along it to scratch at any time, and yet you still park on the street at least sometimes.

And if it scares you so much, just take a taxi to the airport. If you have such a fancy car, you probably have $100 to use a cab round trip.

Edited: 16 February 2012, 15:15
NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking at LGA -- is it safe?

I must say I am surprised that so many people think that this is an odd question.

To be clear, there are two types of lots at LGA:

- private lots (e.g. Dollar, Hampton Inn). I never thought of those before and would have no problems parking there. They aren't the most convenient however as one must take a shuttle bus.

- Port Authority lot: This is on-site, right next to the main terminal.

My question was more regarding the port authority lot. I use it all the times,but I have never used overnight. It is huge and I have never seen a security guard in it. The only employee is in the booth, and it seems unlikely to come out. Even at 11pm or midnight, when the airport is still open, it is pretty deserted. So I wonder about 3am when no flights are coming in our out. Logical?

As for taxi, yes, that is what I usually do. However I travel with young children and taxis or car services aren't the safest. They don't have car seats, and some of the driver are not as prudent as I am. And you can't choose your driver. This is why I am thinking about driving this time.

And the private lots across GCP are a reasonable option but one (Dollar) is already sold-out for the days when I am traveling. Also taking a bus with young kids and luggage is not necessarily the easiest either.

Hence why I was enquiring about the main port authority lot. Makes sense?

As for why someone would break into a car, again, I don't know. I have heard various stories: people think there will be something of value inside... people think they can sell some of the parts... people think it's a fun thing to do... Who knows? But I think it does happen in this country. Even in this state and city. I know it does not happen in tthe street where I live. (Actually, it did happen to one of my neighbors about 5 years ago, but that is rare). Question is, does it happen frequently in the port authority lot at LGA?