We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cross street for taxi cabs

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
cross street for taxi cabs

We are staying at 222 E. 39th St. When getting a cab, should I say between 2nd and 3rd?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cross street for taxi cabs

Yup. And the worst case is you get out at 3rd or 2nd, and you have to walk half a block :)

DC
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: cross street for taxi cabs

Is there a difference?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cross street for taxi cabs

If it's for airport transfer then the hotel organized a great deal and nice SUV for us. Much cheaper and more savvy driver than the Dial7 cars we used from airport. The staff are very helpful at Eastgate Towers.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cross street for taxi cabs

Thanks for the reply. Without this coming up on Trip Advisor, I would of said 222 E. 39th Street without a clue to the cross streets. Now a cabbie won't pull over and let me out cause I didn't know the cross streets. Thanks again.

NY
Level Contributor
794 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cross street for taxi cabs

Street addresses are much easier to figure out than avenues. Cabbies should be able to find the address but who knows...

Most people in Manhattan will never mention the number. They will just say something like:

"going to 78th and 2nd"

" going to 33d between 1st and 2nd"

"going to 57th and 6th, North East corner please"

they will also not use the words street or avenue. Unless there is possible confusion.

So you would say: "going to first ave and 3d street". Not: "going to first and third".

But you would say " going to 79th and 5th". Cabbie will know 79th is the street since there is no avenue above 12th.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cross street for taxi cabs

When I stayed there I said "Eastgate Tower" on 39th between 2nd and 3rd.

And when I stayed at the Shelburne is was "Shelburne Hotel on Lexington at 37th".

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,149 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cross street for taxi cabs

And I said "West 40th Street between 8th and 9th" and was taken to West 48th Street!

If you really want to get somehwere, right it down IME. The accent can sometimes throw them.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,821 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cross street for taxi cabs

If you said 222 East 39 Street, the cabbie would make a guess as to where and drop you off. However, since most streets are one way you open yourself up to driving in circles to get to the exact address ( with the meter ticking) If you say 222 East 39 Street between 2nd and 3rd the cabbie will know where to go and take you to the exact address. There is no need to walk and I do not understand why so many feel it is impossible to have a cab take you to EXACTLY where you want to go!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cross street for taxi cabs

Recently I have found myself preparing for trips by going to Google street view and tracing my journey( at least the beginning and end) so I recognise the area that I am going to be in and what the building looks like.

Have a great trip.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cross street for taxi cabs

"Now a cabbie won't pull over and let me out cause I didn't know the cross streets. Thanks again."

DanieRocky, can't tell if you're being facetious or not.

Seriously? Just in case you're not kidding, you can tell a cabbie to let you out anywhere it's safe to do so.