We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5th time in NYC - recommend me something "new/different"

Bratislava
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
5th time in NYC - recommend me something "new/different"

I'm going to spend a full week in NYC beginning this Saturday and it's my fifth time in that city (my favorite city in the whole world! :P)

As I'm taking 4 other friends with me, who have never been there before (one of them haven't even been to America!), I will have to do all the mandatory stuff first (ToTR, ESB, SOL, major museums, central park...).

Still, I want to do something completely different for at least a day or two. Like, I don't know, seeing a funny performance in a small, independent theater somewhere? Going to a cool jazz/rock club?(I'm a semi-professional drummer) Taking pictures of hipsters in brooklyn? Visiting jewish orthodox neighborhoods? Seeing a crazy gay bar?(I'm straight) What would you, experienced New Yorkers recommend me to see/try?

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5th time in NYC - recommend me something "new/different"

- go walk on hte boardwalk in coney island

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5th time in NYC - recommend me something "new/different"

For the type of stuff you're looking for, you might want to look at Time Out NY (online) or the Village Voice (also online). They both have listings for stuff that you might not otherwise find (but be sure to confirm date/time/price for each of them).

Bratislava
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5th time in NYC - recommend me something "new/different"

Done that already. Spent almost a full day in coney island.

Bratislava
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5th time in NYC - recommend me something "new/different"

Thanks for the tip NooYawkuh! I'll look into it.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
782 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5th time in NYC - recommend me something "new/different"

Check the calendar to see what's happening at Barbes, Park Slope, Brooklyn:

http://barbesbrooklyn.com/calendar.html

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,901 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5th time in NYC - recommend me something "new/different"

"seeing a funny performance in a small, independent theater somewhere"

http://vocapeoplenyc.com/tele1.html

"cool jazz/rock club" : http://www.joespub.com/

I would not recommend going to eg williamsburg to see the ultra orthodox -- I understand the motivation but it's a little rude. OTOH, from what I understand, that area is changing and there may be some clubs there so ....

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5th time in NYC - recommend me something "new/different"

Head to Smorgasbrewery... brooklynflea.com/2011/… I'm sure you'll spot some hipsters there!

M

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
310 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5th time in NYC - recommend me something "new/different"

I just saw something new/different in Manhattan -- Carrie the Musical, an off-Broadway show based on Stephen King's first novel. It's definitely not something you'll see at home and the neighborhood around the theater has lots of interesting shops, gay bars (including the Stonewall Tavern where the Gay rights movement had its symbolic beginning), and not-so-gay bars too. Tickets for Carrie are available with a discount from Broadway Box.

Edited: 16 February 2012, 03:09
Bratislava
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 5th time in NYC - recommend me something "new/different"

Thanks for the wonderful tips boys and girls!

M4RKM, since you're already here, I will need a pre-paid sim for my unlocked iPhone 4 (i will have my sim-to-microsim cutter with me). You already gave me some tips, but I still want to ask again.

Should I just go to a ATT store and tell them what I need? Any advice on what exactly I should ask for, so they really understand me? I just need a regular 3G sim and around 1 - max 2GB of data and a few minutes, to call my US friends.

Bratislava
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 5th time in NYC - recommend me something "new/different"

I actually found an old ATT 3G SIM from 2008 which I used with a prepaid phone. Do you think it can still be used or do this cards expire?