We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi vs shuttle from airport?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
291 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi vs shuttle from airport?

We are trying to decide if we should get a taxi or shuttle from the airport to our hotel. We will be arriving on a weekday afternoon and going to the Wellington hotel.

I read the top question about taxi's and shuttles. Does this mean if we get a taxi it will be a flat rate of $50 plus tip and tolls? Does that apply to all taxis or do some run by the meter and could possible be more or less than $50 depending on traffic etc?

With the shuttle bus, it doesnt have a rough price for shuttles from Newark airport. Does anyone know what a rough price for a shuttle to the Wellington hotel would be per person?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi vs shuttle from airport?

are you coming from newark? in which case the flat rate doesnt apply. a car service will be about $75 or so inc tolls and tip.

the shuttles should always be avoided - your options would be taxi, car service or train/subway combo.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
291 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi vs shuttle from airport?

Yep we are coming from Newark :) When you say car service, is that a private car, different to a taxi that we would have to pre arrange?

Would a taxi be roughy $75 from Newark to the Wellington hotel as well? Or would a taxi be a little bit cheaper than a car service?

Thanks heaps!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi vs shuttle from airport?

yes thats right - some people dont recommend Newark cabs. I have never used them but instead have used dial7.com which I can recommend. A taxi would be on the meter so if you get stuck, you will pay more.

If you go on their website, you can get a quote.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,017 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi vs shuttle from airport?

Either take a taxi which is $45 plus tip and toll or a total of ~$60 or use the train which costs ~$14/person.. Shuttle bus is not a good option

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,017 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi vs shuttle from airport?

Sorry, I didn't see Newark. NO to a taxi. Use either

dial7.com

or take the Coach USA bus that goes to Port Authority for $15/person and then take a taxi to the hotel.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
291 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi vs shuttle from airport?

Thanks alot for that! Are taxi's at Newark airport unreliable? Or does the company rip people off or something?

ill look into dial7.com now, thanks :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi vs shuttle from airport?

I don't think it's that the taxis are unreliable or rip people off, moreso that as it's on the meter there's no way to know how much it'll cost in case you get stuck in traffic or delayed for any reason (unlike coming from JFK where there's a flat fee + toll + tip no matter how long it takes).

Booking a private car means that you'll be given a set price + toll (?) + tip so you don't need to worry about getting stuck or delayed and getting hit with a hefty fee.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,617 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi vs shuttle from airport?

Taxis at Newark aren't New York City taxis, since Newark is in another state. That means they're not allowed to pick up fares in NYC for the return trip, so the rate is higher than a car service would be, and the drivers are less likely to be familiar with NYC streets.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
291 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi vs shuttle from airport?

Thank you so much for that info, its a great help! dial7.com looks really good and easy to use!

why are shuttle buses not recommended from Newark? Are they unreliable too?

I also like the idea of a train so i might look into that as well!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,949 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi vs shuttle from airport?

The train from Newark Airport into Manhattan is $12.50. You take an AirTrain monorail from your terminal to the Newark Airport rail station. There you buy a combined ticket for the AirTrain and the New Jersey Transit commuter rail system into New York Penn Station. Make sure not to get off at Newark Penn Station. New York Penn Station is the last stop.

There will be uniformed personnel to help you, if you need it, at the Newark Airport rail station.