We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9/ 11 Memorial Tribute Question

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
9/ 11 Memorial Tribute Question

Hi,

I am planning on visiting the 9/ 11 Memorial on my trip to NYC.

I was hoping I could get some advice from previous visitors and experts and what tributes can be left at the memorial.

I'm coming from Australia and I had an idea of leaving a small bouquet of flowers with a little Australian Flag in them and leave it next to each of the ten Australians that died.

Is that something that could be done?

I've read the 9/ 11 memorial website, but I was hoping to get some advice from locals and previous visitors.

Thankyou.

Mentioned in this post
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,168 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,053 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,488 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9/ 11 Memorial Tribute Question

I believe you can. But maybe only small bunches.

The excellent post below goes into great detail about what happens when you get there, right through to what to expect in once you are in there.

tripadvisor.com.au/…36047149

Edited: 22 February 2012, 08:31
Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9/ 11 Memorial Tribute Question

I'd really recommend booking a walking tour via

http://www.tributewtc.org/index.php.

You have a look around the visitor centre first where you can learn about peoples stories, memories and experiences and see video's and photo's in their exhibit. Its really really moving. And then we paid $15 I think and were given a tour of the memorial. The tours are given by volunteers that were somehow affected by 9/11. The guy giving our tour was in one of the towers when the plane hit. It was fascinating, deeply moving and was a very emotional afternoon but we took so much more away from the day than we would have if we'd just wondered around the memorial on our own.

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9/ 11 Memorial Tribute Question

Sorry, I don't think that first link worked, try again: www.tributewtc.org/

If the above one doesn't Google Tribute WTC Visitor Centre

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9/ 11 Memorial Tribute Question

Actually the memorial is designed to accomodate small tributes, so just follow what others have done. I beleive they remove the items daily, but your heartfelt actions will be appreciated.

You do need tickets, which are free: http://www.911memorial.org/

Tickets are timed and photo ID needed - must match name on ticket. Reason for tickets is because the site is still an active construction site so they need to limit and controll access.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9/ 11 Memorial Tribute Question

I can't seem to find this on the memorial site, but the names are engraved into the bronze edge of the pools in such a way as to accommodate flower stems, so you can just stick the loose flowers into the name. If the flag stem is approximately the same size as a flower stem, you could probably leave that in the same way. I don't remember if there were bouquets or not.

I think it is very considerate of you to have thought of doing this.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9/ 11 Memorial Tribute Question

When I went there were small flags, flowers, notes, etc in some names. It is beautifully done. There are guides there that will help with info on what to do.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9/ 11 Memorial Tribute Question

I just found this which shows you how it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZA2bZA6m_I

If you search around on flikr or other photo site you may find some pictures that show a wider angle and if there are bouquets.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9/ 11 Memorial Tribute Question

Thankyou, I think I hope the people are nice, it is my first trip to NYC so I'm a bit unsure what to expect

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
276 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9/ 11 Memorial Tribute Question

When I was there in the fall, many people left single flowers or flags in the engraved names. It is a moving place, but I think it would be better once the museum opens. You'll spend as much time in security and walking as you will at the actual site.

10. Re: 9/ 11 Memorial Tribute Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 02:42