We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

woodbury common

glasgow scotland
Level Contributor
119 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
woodbury common

Staying in Times Square. What is the simplest way to get to Woodbury Common?

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: woodbury common

As your only staying for 3 nights i myself would'nt waste a whole day travelling to woodbury,there will be more than enough places in the city to grab a bargain tbh,when we went to woodbury common in 06 we went with grayline from the 8th avenue port authority bus terminal,had to wait nearly 2 hours coming back for a bus due to the crowds

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: woodbury common

Despite what the ads say over there-- it is truly a waste of time and money to head out there== just shop in the city. There are always sales here. People always fail to subtract out the cost of transport to Woodbury when figuring out their purchase price.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: woodbury common

By bus, I think..I believe the cost is 40.00 pp. It will take all day to get there and back

Unless,you are a high end shopper looking for bargains on items that are out of season or from a couple of years ago, I don't think it's worth it

If you search the forum for "Woodbury Common" , change the revelevance to "date" (so you see the most recent),you will see many answers and opinions about it. It is asked about daily..:)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: woodbury common

I just went there last week while in town for 5 days. The Grayline fare is $42 round trip and it doesn't take "all day" to get there and back, it's almost exactly one hour each way. I got to the Port Authority in time for a 9:15 bus, it was filled by 9:00 so we left early. Got to the Commons as it was opening at 10, I spent 2 hours shopping, got back on a 12:05 bus and was back in Manhattan by 1.

Now whether it's worth it to you to is a question only you can answer. I was impressed with the quality and number of stores there BUT kind of disappointed in the relative bargains there which really vary from shop to shop. I did pick up some Prada sneakers for 50% off and a Diesel belt for 60% off so my trip wasn't in vain.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: woodbury common

I guess you don't shop like I do, Scott..:)..Takes me all day

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: woodbury common

Haha, I am a speed shopper. I don't browse much, I have a good idea of what I want before I ever step into the store. 2 hours was plenty of time there for me.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: woodbury common

Im with Scott - I want to be in and out of there quickly - and back into the city well before rush hour. The line up of buses on the NJ side getting into the tunnel or Port Authority can take forever.

If shopping is a priority and you have the time, it is worth going. I never come back from there empty handed or feeling the price of the ticket was a waste.

suitcaseready.com

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: woodbury common

I agree with scott and evening regards shopping! I don't hang around either :-D

Times I've been there, most I've ever spent is about 3 and a half hours (and a chunck of that was having lunch!). But then when I go there, I can actually walk it if I want, as I'm only a mile and a half away.

Last time I got the bus that stopped off at Woodbury Commons (I got on the stop before), it was a bit after 12 pm. And alread there where some people getting on it with multiple bags of shopping going back to the city.

I always say, if you are on your first trip to NYC, and only for a few days, i would stick to the great shopping available in the city. The commons imo, is a place to go if you are a return visitor, or you are staying for significantly longer than 3 or 4 days.

Edited: 23 February 2012, 17:18
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: woodbury common

So maybe Scott saves $60 but it costs $40 to get there is it worth it/ unless you are spending hundreds of dollars to get enough discounts to really cover the transportation costs it is not worth it.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: woodbury common

Hate the place. Wouldn't waste precious NYC time going there. IMO, it's a scheme to fool shoppers. All of the stores show the full suggested retail price on the ticket and then markdowns to make you think you're saving soooo much, when in reality, no store puts stuff out at full retail price. I've never known anyone to really see great savings there. Just my 2 cents.... There are sooo many discount places and great bargains in NYC - and you can't beat the atmosphere.