We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

comedy club question

Norfolk, VA
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
comedy club question

i am coming to NYC next week for business and staying in a hotel near WTC memorial. i know i will have to take the subway around, which is fine. i'm looking for a good comedy club i can go to one night during the week. i don't really care for raunchy humor. just funny/witty humor would be great. any suggestions?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: comedy club question

Most of the comedy clubs I have been to in the city will include a range of humor - some raunchy, some not. It usually depends on the comedian or comedians.

Some places have a single comedian for the entire night. If it's a single comedian, it's usually somebody who has proven that they're good. Other places will have a bunch of comedians give acts of 5-20 minutes each. Usually, those vary. For a nightly group show, out of about 8 comedians, I would say that 2-3 are great, 2-3 are ok, and the rest range from mediocre to awful. But that's the fun of the draw - you never know what you're getting.

Getting back to your question, I don't know of a single club with "family friendly" comedy. They may exist, I just don't know about them. And when you have (about) eight comedians on stage for the night, some may choose to be raunchy while others may talk about politics. It's impossible to predict in advance. If you find a club that has a show with a single comedian, you might be able to find out in advance what the usual subject matter is.

My advice: Try something else, if you are seriously allergic to raunchy.

Montreal
Level Contributor
779 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: comedy club question

what about improv?? it's family friendly, and funny.........National Comedy theatre(I think that is the name)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: comedy club question

Y'know, I was thinking standard comedy clubs, not improv. Good idea. I haven't been to Chicago City Limits in years, but that might fit what you're looking for.

New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: comedy club question

comedy cellar highly recommended-usualy 3-4comedians per show

Edited: 27 February 2012, 07:01
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: comedy club question

Sadly I've only been to the Comedy Cellar once... absolutely loved it, but most of the comics were raunchy. Some more than others, but it was definitely not an evening fit for someone who prefers their comedy clean and wholesome.

From the reviews, my understanding is that Comedy Cellar shows tend to get raunchier as the hour gets later. So you might consider an early show, but I think you should still expect some off-color jokes if you choose that spot.

6. Re: comedy club question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 21:16