We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please suggest an itinerary for a weekend

UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Please suggest an itinerary for a weekend

Hello

I am taking my wife to NY from London for her 40th birthday in April as a surprise. We arrive Friday evening and leave Sunday night. We would like to spend some time taking in the 'buzz' of the city that never sleeps. I also want to be able to get a good view of the famous skyline, and visit the 9/11 memorial. We are staying in thele Parker Meridien on West 56th Street. Also, any redcommendations for a late night romantic drink in that area would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
639 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please suggest an itinerary for a weekend

For what it's worth, some of the best ground-level views of "the famous skyline," especially at night, are from New Jersey. Take the PATH from World Trade Center (in downtown Manhattan) one stop to Exchange Place in Jersey City. (There's not much else interesting in the area around Exchange Place and it will be dead after working hours.) You can also take the PATH from 33rd Street and 6th Avenue to Hoboken. Similar view, but easier to see midtown from Hoboken. Hoboken actually has a street with bars and restaurants that's near the PATH station.

Of course, you can also get a nice vertical view from the Empire State Building or the Rock (which are much closer to your hotel).

With only 2 days, spending even 90 minutes round trip to NJ and back for the view may be a bit of a waste, but I really do think those two places are great for seeing the skyline at night.

Regarding "a late night romantic drink," you'll have to be more specific about what you have in mind.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please suggest an itinerary for a weekend

Top of the Rock (TOTR) has the shortest lines and great views of the city--better during the day but decent around dusk as well--its at Rockefeller Center.you need to get 911 free tickets on line ahead of time--id start checking now for those.I personally like walkig around Greenich Village,just taking evrything in. If you never been thru Times Square its interesting, but not what NYC is all about.The whole theater district is fun too--maye find a restaurant with a view of the city at night--there are several very good ones--other posters will tell you which ones are best.Check menupages.com, or yelp.com for ideas--Great Idea have fun!!

NY,NY
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please suggest an itinerary for a weekend

Actually your hotel has a pretty nice lounge called Knave although I believe it closes at midnight.

Also...

yelp.com/biz/above-6-at-6-columbus-manhattan

NYC
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Please suggest an itinerary for a weekend

First of all, congratulations - that's a fantastic surprise!

Second, what does your wife like to do? It's hard to come up with an agenda without knowing more about her. Having said that, I'm about your wife's age, so here's what I'd enjoy:

Friday evening:

Dinner at ______ [what kind of food does she like, and how much do you want to spend?]

"Romantic" drinks at the Paramount Lounge, Flatiron Lounge, Campbell Apartment, or Temple Bar

Saturday:

Walk around West Village (I particularly like the walk from Bank St. to Cornelia Street on Bleecker)

Stop for lunch at Home on Cornelia St. (American comfort food - http://www.homerestaurantnyc.com) or Palma (upscale Italian in a charming farmhouse atmosphere - www.palmanyc.com)

Spend afternoon walking around SoHo (lots of great shops!)

Sunset: Top of the Rock

Dinner at _______ [again, what kind of food does she like?]

"Romantic" drinks at the Paramount Lounge, Flatiron Lounge, Campbell Apartment, or Temple Bar

Sunday:

Visit 9/11 Memorial (early!)

Wander through Chinatown, then west to Tribeca (lots of good window shopping here, too)

Stop for lunch at Petite Abeille, Kitchenette, or other

Back to London :(

www.traceyg.travellerspoint.com

Mentioned in this post
West Village
West Village
1,367 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please suggest an itinerary for a weekend

Your hotel is across the street from the famous Plaza hotel (Oak Bar for a drink). You're also close to the St. Regis hotel which has the famous King Cole bar. For a nice view, the lobby lounge of the Mandarin Oriental on the 35th floor of the Time Warner building is also not far, although hard to get a seat and they tend to give guests of the hotel first dibs at seats(and why not). The Peninsula hotel is also near yours and has a rooftop bar. I've not been there years so don't know the age and makeup of the crowd they get ,but the view is very nice.

Have either of you ever been to NYC before?

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please suggest an itinerary for a weekend

You could Just work in lunch or dinner at the 5* Manderian (mentioned above) then you can grab an easy reservation online and won't have to worry about a seat in the lounge-there is a$34usd 3 course pre set for lunch and an $85usd 3 course pre set at Dinner - the night time sky line views are more breath taking IMO-

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d42…

Also there is the Lounge at the Marriot Marquis-

http://theviewnyc.com/

In addition here is a list of must do's-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Most_Com…

For two days I would suggest;

one day in Midtown-From 59th (Central Park South) to 34th St -Midtown is one of the busiest areas in NYC with Time Square, The Broadway Theater District, Columbus Circle, The Plaza Hotel, FAO Schwartz, Rockefeller center,TOTR, Radio City, Carnegie Hall, Grand Central Station, The United Nations, Empire State Building and these are just some things in Midtown.

Then one day downtown-Lower Manhattan/ The Financial District

World Trade Center (WTC), World Financial Center, Wall St./ the NY stock exchange, The Nations first capitol, The South Street Seaport, The Brooklyn Bridge, Battery Park, the Southern tip of Manhattan also has ferries to Statue of Liberty (SOL)Ellis Island, or the free ferry to Staten Island.

Good Luck- Happy Planning!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,523 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please suggest an itinerary for a weekend

Just a heads up, the prix fixe lunch at the Mandarin is only Mon- Fri and that won't work for this poster coming just for a weekend. Brunch at the Mandarin's Asiate is very nice, but pricey.

UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please suggest an itinerary for a weekend

Thank you all for your replies! I am much obliged. Tracey 3345, I know I should have said what kind of food she llikes - French, Italian, Mexican. We like to try a gourmet meal wherever we go, but my wife also likes straightforward, good food. I am going to reserve Eleven Madison Park for a special meal Saturday night. Can you suggest a good Mexican?

Also, how can we 'experience' the NY skyline by night. I have this concept in my head that I want to see the city all lit up, like in the movies! I understand that TOTR is good for daytime and dusk.

Once again, thanks for all your replies, lovely people!

9. Re: Please suggest an itinerary for a weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:17