We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour from boston to new york washington philly

Exeter, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
tour from boston to new york washington philly

i am thinking about booking this tour,i am from the uk and only have limited time so dont want to do it myself,ive seen one run by tours for fun and take tours,does anyone know anything about these companies,also trusted tours of aerica for day trips,many thanks.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,969 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tour from boston to new york washington philly

I'm never impressed with these tours - most are designed for people who don't speak English, and so the tourguides don't speak much English either. The public transportation between these four cities is cheap, excellent, and a lot faster than going by bus, and you can make sure you stay in areas where you can get around at night instead of cheap motels far away from the cities themselves. How much time do you have?

Exeter, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour from boston to new york washington philly

3 days and no car,want to see as uch as i can hence tour not sure about public transport not really looked into it.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tour from boston to new york washington philly

You cannot see those FOUR places in THREE days. NYC for three days is BARELY "scatching the surface."

I would pick ONE city and just go there. If you've not been to any of them, I recommend NYC first.

By the way, train and bus service is good between the cities (probably the only part of the USA that can be said about).

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,969 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tour from boston to new york washington philly

I agree that you can't see four cities in three days. Pick one or two at most.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour from boston to new york washington philly

I Understand that you want to check as many cities off your list and then move on, but here is just some of what NYC has to offer (and just these items could take more than three days)-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Most_Com…

I would look into pricing yourself before you book-currently Luftansa is offering o.k. prices from Bristol to Newark (BRS-EWR) and if you can get to London there are currently even better deals on Virgin Atlantic from Heatrow to NYC (LHR-JFK). From both of the U.S. airports (EWR and JFK) you can take the airport airtran and transfer to a commuter train (LIRR [long island railroad] is the commuter train from JFK & NJT [new jersey transit] is the commutter train from EWR) these both leave you at NY Penn station (there is more than one Penn station so don't go to NJ Penn station you need NY penn station).

You can get several different style hotels close by Penn Station

High end like Eventi-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1456560…

Medium like New Yorker or Affinia Manhattan-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d122005-…

or

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93562-R…

and Low end (like Herald Square)-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93452-R…

Also Penn Station has all the public transit to the other cities you mentioned- Acela is the fasest-

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

and Bolt bus or Mega Bus is probably the cheapest-

https://www.boltbus.com/wherewetravel.aspx

&

http://us.megabus.com/default.aspx

I usually find I can book a better trip more suited to me than an agency- but if you want those check marks and don't mind the "I got off the bus and streched my arms tour" then they probably can do it better!

Let us know-what you decide and how it goes.

Good Luck and Happy planning!

Edited: 28 February 2012, 22:16
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour from boston to new york washington philly

Oh, I forgot to mention if you decide to do just NYC and one other city I would say Washington D.C. is the best choice (second to NYC of course).

Most importantly- Enjoy & Have fun, whatever you decide.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tour from boston to new york washington philly

If you try to do a bus tour of Boston, New York, Washington, and Philadelphia in four days, most of what you'll see will be highway traffic (especially if the tour goes in that order; Philadelphia is between New York and Washington).

With only three days, I would do as much as you can in just one of those cities -- and I would pick New York. You could go to a second city if you really wanted to see two places, but you don't have time for more than that.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tour from boston to new york washington philly

If you really want to try to visit more than one of these cities, the best transportation between them, in my opinion, is by train:

www.amtrak.com

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tour from boston to new york washington philly

If you have no car, New York City is your place. You do not need a car to see NYC. In fact, a car is more of a liability than a help here. Many neighborhoods are totally walkable.

Both Boston and DC have decent public transportation options, although not as good as New York's.

10. Re: tour from boston to new york washington philly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 22:17