We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Hours in New York

Minneapolis...
5 posts
Save Topic
Three Hours in New York

Have a 3 hour layover in New York. Want to zip around quickly to have picture taken in front of popular tourist attractions. Is this possible and what sites would make for the best pictures?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,590 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Hours in New York

No, if you mean you have three hours between landing and taking off, it's not possible. Any airport is an hour from Manhattan, and you won't have time. Sorry.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Hours in New York

Sorry... I would have to agree that it's not possible. Even if you take a cab it will take 30 minutes to get into Manhattan and another 30 to get back- at least.

That doesn't give you much time. I guess if you wanted to hire a cab and pay him like $200 you might be able to pull it off but you would be cutting it very close. Also, you would have to re-enter security at the airport and NYC had terribly delays. You might have to wait 30-40 minutes just to get back into the airport.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Hours in New York

I agree, leaving any NYC airport with only 3 hours between flights is not a good idea. The airports (especially JFK and Newark) are not really located near anything that's worth the risk of missing your connection.

Keep in mind that if you leave the airport, you will have to (a) go through security and (b) arrive at your gate 15-60 minutes before your second flight. My most recent venture to JFK had me waiting on the TSA line for over an hour.

4. Re: Three Hours in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 20:15