We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan Tour

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
Manhattan Tour

I will be in NY for the first time 4/8/12-4/11/12 and we've booked the full comprehensive Manhattan bus tour for one of the days, has anyone been on this particular tour before? it sounds really neat, but I'd like to see what some people think about it, I believe it's the grey line(?) bus tours.

also, I'd like to know what part of Manhattan is best for night life, maybe a younger crowd type of area, anyone have any suggestions? my friend and I are visiting and we're both in our early 20s.

thank you for your help!

(orginally posted in NY forum)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan Tour

Re: bus tours, I can't tell you since I'm not the kind of person who uses them while traveling.

Re: night life for people in their 20s, go exploring in any part of the Village. Night life galore -- music, fun shops (many open late), bars, etc. Lots of college and grad students here as well.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,374 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhattan Tour

What is the name of the bus tour??? Use Capital initials or quotes so we know what you are talking about. A tour lets you pass by everything quickly and visit nothing.

I'd just buy a tour book, like Lonely Planet's, and figure out how to see what you are interested in. Those book describe it all, and you can actually visit what you want.

Also, the Penguin Atlas of NYC is so clear despite being so detailed, you can't miss.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,374 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhattan Tour

Greenwich Village, the Meatpacking District, and the new stuff around the Bowery near Soho are for the younger nightclub goers.

When you get into NYC, buy "Time Out New York" (a weekly magazine); you might even be able to get the one of the week before in Los Angeles somewhere. It lists everything.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Manhattan Tour

It's called "Full Day Comprehensive Manhattan Tour", it's a Gray Line bus tour, basically, we're looking for a quick overview of the city, we decided on this one because it's 8hrs and it'll basically show us some of the main points of interest and from there we were gonna decide what area we wanted to focus on for the next day. There are some reviews I've read that say it's a very nice tour but I just wanted to know if there were more people who have been on it.

A friend also mentioned that Greenwich Village is the best place for a younger crowd so I think we're going to lean towards that, we're staying at the "New Yorker Hotel", how would we get to Greenwich from there? we wont be driving.. so the Subway is what we want to lean towards.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manhattan Tour

I don't really know hotels. Where is yours?

Various parts of the Village (East Village, West Village, etc.) are all easily accessible from various subway lines, including the 1, A, B, C, D, E, F, M, R, 6, and others. I wouldn't be surprised if your hotel was near one of these lines.

You're absolutely correct about the subway. Even the (billionaire?) mayor of this city uses it. Cars are the worst way to get around Manhattan, especially mid-day. Bring good walking shoes!

And don't call it "Greenwich." That's a city in Connecticut. Greenwich Village, the Village, East Village, West Village, etc. are all acceptable.

Edited: 01 March 2012, 21:31
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhattan Tour

The location of our hotel: 481 Eighth Ave.

New York, NY 10001

It's suppose to be accross the street from Penn Station and 4 blocks from Empire State Building, I believe there is a subway Station near by. I'm just a bit nervous, I've never been to NY and I'm new to this whole Subway business too. We're traveling from California.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
783 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhattan Tour

Let me assist you with the subway thing.

The New Yorker is indeed near a subway station, the 34th Street Station on the A/C/E lines. Here's a subway map:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Here's a Manhattan bus map:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

The A/C/E stop at W 4th Street/ Washington Square is in the heart of the Village. Here's a map and a guide to Greenwich Village:

http://www.nyctourist.com/map_gvillage.htm

With the information available on TA, you do not need to fear the subway. Our resident expert, GreenWhiteBlue, lays it all out for you here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4244193…

Edited: 01 March 2012, 23:12
New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhattan Tour

Interesting. That nyctourist map leaves out the East Village. Also worth exploring. Despite what the map says, there is plenty of fun stuff to do east of Broadway!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhattan Tour

Here's another question: I was reading the Subway imformation posted above and I was thinking that perhaps the metrocard is the best thing for us, however, I think I remember seeing that the metrocard is $10 (?), is this just for the card itself or is it the required initial balance that must be added to the card? in other words, is the card going to cost me $10 ontop of the money I need to add to it to use it towards subway fare?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,634 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Manhattan Tour

"however, I think I remember seeing that the metrocard is $10 (?),"

You remember incorrectly. There are two types of MetroCards: an unlimited card, and a pay-per-ride card. An unlimited card is good for unlimited rides for one person for a set period of time for a flat fee: the most common for visitors is a 7-day card for $29. A pay-per-ride card can be loaded with any amount of money, and one fare ($2.25) is deducted from the balance every time someone swipes the card to enter the system. Neither card has a fee other than the fare - there's no "overhead."