We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morningside gardens

california
Level Contributor
85 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Morningside gardens

Does anyone know much about this co op complex

And the area?

Safe? Interesting? Convenient?

Thank you!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morningside gardens

Why, are you moving in? I can't imagine why else you would ask, considering that rentals for less than 30 days are ILLEGAL in New York City.

california
Level Contributor
85 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morningside gardens

....considering long term!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morningside gardens

This is a coop. I'd imagine you'd need board approval to rent there.

nytimes.com/2006/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morningside gardens

I won't address the legality issue, although I suspect the others are likely correct. I lived near to Morningside Gardens for nearly 5 years, during and just after my studies at nearby Columbia University...

It's not a particularly attractive complex - "mid-20th century utilitarian" - and the the main visual that differentiates the MG cluster of buildings from the cluster of buildings comprising the General Grant public housing complex next door is the fact the the MG buildings have balconies. Here's another article about Morningside Gardens, with a photo that shows what the buildings look like:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morningside_Gardens

That said, these two unattractive complexes (MG and GG) are surrounded by a lot of great architecture, and the area does have its appeal. MG is right on the border of Harlem and Morningside Heights and right next to the 1 train stop at 125th Street. It's very near to Riverside Park, Sakura Park, Riverside Church, and Grants Tomb. Easy walk down to Columbia and the restaurants, bars, and shops surrounding it. Also an easy walk into Harlem, which has been sprouting many new restaurants, bars, and shops.

The area directly around the Morningside Gardens complex has gentrified in the past 20 years and there are more restaurants and shops on the neighboring stretches of Broadway and Amsterdam than there were in the 1990s. It's not at all comparable to the Upper West Side or many other Manhattan neighborhoods in this regard, but there are several options now vs. 10-15 years ago.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morningside gardens

Interesting, I had no idea some of those buildings were owner-occupied!

6. Re: Morningside gardens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2013, 10:17