We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- Mar 2-4-18th birthday- Part 1

Greenville SC
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report- Mar 2-4-18th birthday- Part 1

Thanks to those who regularly contribute to this forum as it is invaluable!

I have been to NYC several times and decided to surprise my daughter who has never been and take her for her 18th birthday to do a little shopping. I let her invite a friend to bring along as well. We are not wealthy by any means and wanted to get the most bang for our buck and we certainly did on this visit!

We flew in on Friday afternoon into LGA. We were supposed to fly into JFK, but our airline was delayed and overbooked and offered for volunteers to take another flight that would arrive at the same time- so since we were not checking bags we gave up our 3 seats. We arrived around 145- jumped into a taxi and were at our hotel by 215 or so. Taxi was $28 with tip.

Checked into the hotel right away- Hampton Inn SOHO- Staff was so welcoming and friendly and I appreciated that especially since I work for Hamptons and get a substantial discount. Many times when I am traveling on an employee rate I receive less than desirable service and rooms. This was not the case and we had adjacent rooms on the 16th floor and they could not have been more accomodating.

After getting settled we decided to head to TS before getting our Rush tickets for Fuerza Bruta at 6pm. We walked around and they some shopping at Forever 21 and a few other places. Enjoyed the sights and loved seeing her face as she was amazed at every turn. She was just overwhelmed in a good way.

Headed down to Union Square to get in line for tickets- there were already a handful of people in line and we arrived a few minutes before 6. They said they would sell 30 Rush tickets that night. We got our tickets and by this time the girls were starving and tired and did not care where we ate- so we walked across to Heartland Brewery. I had a nice wheat beer and fish and chips which was really very good. Service was good- and the server apologized when it came time to deliver our check and said the computers were down and had to ask what we had to eat to ring up the check. No problem- things happen and she returned and comped one of the entrees! Totally unexpected and appreciated!

Headed to Fuerza Bruta and they really did not know what to expect. It was a great show- full of energy and perfect for teenagers.

Went back to the hotel and crashed ready to get a full day on the next day...Part 2 to follow

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report- Mar 2-4-18th birthday- Part 1

Cool! Sounds like a great experience for your daughter.

Alabama
Level Contributor
961 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report- Mar 2-4-18th birthday- Part 1

You're a good Mama, letting her take a friend. Story of our lives...wanting to take a friend everywhere you go!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report- Mar 2-4-18th birthday- Part 1

Sounds awesome. My first trip was also with my mom and the best birthday present I ever got. We still talk about it all the time.

Wow. The brewery sounds very customer service oriented. Good for them (and you)!

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report- Mar 2-4-18th birthday- Part 1

Sounds like you making some wonderful memories in New York City! :)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report- Mar 2-4-18th birthday- Part 1

very nice report so far

Cardiff
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report- Mar 2-4-18th birthday- Part 1

Great report so far, we were at Hampton SoHo when you were! Got home today, report to follow when we're over the jetlag.

Alabama
Level Contributor
961 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report- Mar 2-4-18th birthday- Part 1

What is Fuerza Bruta?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report- Mar 2-4-18th birthday- Part 1

Here is the review from the New York Times:

…nytimes.com/2007/…25fuer.html

9. Re: Trip Report- Mar 2-4-18th birthday- Part 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:43