We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for NYC with jaded teenage boys

N.E. Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions for NYC with jaded teenage boys

I'm counting on some of you New Yorkers to come through on this. We're going to New York over spring break with our two sons (16 and 15.) They're far from first timers; I think this will be their 10th visit, so they've been all over Manhattan and have already seen all of the obvious sites. Their last trip in was almost 4 years ago, though, and they're interests have changed as they've gotten older. We're looking for some more off-beat things that we can all enjoy. We know we'll go to the high line and Ellis Island (something that didn't interest them when they were younger but does now,) but could sure use some more ideas. Anyone?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,244 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for NYC with jaded teenage boys

What sorts of things interest them? Have you looked at the Museum of the Moving Image? Lots of exhibits about the making of TV shows and movies.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,920 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for NYC with jaded teenage boys

When is your spring break?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for NYC with jaded teenage boys

Intrepid?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,170 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for NYC with jaded teenage boys

No matter where you are going I always say that families with teenagers allow the teens to do some research and find some places that interest them. Sometimes just having the adults suggest something makes it an activity that holds no interest!!

N.E. Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions for NYC with jaded teenage boys

We're going to be in NYC from April 10 through 15th.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions for NYC with jaded teenage boys

I agree with Riff. Let them do some research and come up with some places they'd like to visit. What about exploring some of the outer boroughs like Brooklyn and Queens? Brooklyn, specifically Williamsburg, is very hip right now.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestions for NYC with jaded teenage boys

How about the Panorama!!! The BEST. THING. EVER!!!!

THE PANORAMA at the Queens Museum! It is a scale model of the entire NYC with every bridge, every park, every, beach, every school... As I like saying...Every. Single. Freakin'. Building. Bring binoculars and find all the places you've been! This is one of my favorite things about NYC, and a must for repeat visitors.

"The Panorama occupies 9,335 square feet. It includes miniature cars, boats and an airplane landing at and taking off from La Guardia Airport. There are more than 895,000 individual wooden or plastic buildings on the model; 25,000 were custom-made to approximate major landmarks such as skyscrapers, colleges, museums and major churches."

Plus, you'll get to ride the #7 train, which has nice views of the skyline and residential parts of Queens.

nytimes.com/2007/…02pano.html

It's pay-what-you-wish admission. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays. The Queens Museum focuses on two areas of interest: NYC infrastructure and the art of immigrants of NYC, especially those who live in Queens.

More photos:

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

Bring binoculars and find your hotel and all the places you've been!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestions for NYC with jaded teenage boys

Previous thread with good suggestions near the Panorama and in Flushing:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k562274-… Panorama_of_New_York-

Sounds like it's high time to get out of Manhattan generally and explore the outer boroughs.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,920 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suggestions for NYC with jaded teenage boys

Go to MOCADA for the Hip Hop exhibit!!!

http://mocada.org/

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
310 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suggestions for NYC with jaded teenage boys

And since they are teenagers how about seeing Carrie the Musical? It's all about teenage angst (to say the least) and it runs through April 22. Discounts are available at Broadway Box. I somehow doubt it will tour to Ohio (or anywhere else except perhaps San Francisco and/or London.) I actually saw this production (as a middle aged man) and I would have been quite thrilled to see it as a 15/16 year old boy.

Edited: 05 March 2012, 20:13