We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to walk to Intrepid?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to walk to Intrepid?

We're staying at 8th Avenue & 51st Street. The Intrepid Museum looks pretty close. Is it safe to walk there from our hotel? Hell's Kitchen sounds kind of scary! What route should we take, ie. specific street to walk on? Love this forum.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
142 Reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,121 Reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,017 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,130 Reviews
from US$57.00*
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to walk to Intrepid?

Well, you may trip and fall, but other than that I can't see why you're worried.

Depends how clumsy you are. NYC is perfectly safe.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to walk to Intrepid?

Hell's Kitchen used to be a rough tough mobbed up area. Now its sorta trendy. And pretty safe.

And, there''s a restaurant there too called Hell's Ktichen.

And a TV show:

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to walk to Intrepid?

Hell's Kitchen is an old name for the neighborhood, but it no longer describes its character at all; there is about as much hell in Hell's Kitchen as there is a fort in Fort Rouge, Winnipeg. You can walk across any street, but you might find 46thStreet to be the most direct route

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to walk to Intrepid?

It's perfectly safe but if you're really worried walk down to 49th Street and get the the M50 bus - it stops practically on the doorstep of the Intrepid (well, a minute's walk away).

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to walk to Intrepid?

Remember "West Side Story"....that took place in the northern part of Hell's Kitchen and it is the approximate location of (today's) Metroplitan Opera and other Lincoln Center venues.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to walk to Intrepid?

My wife and I walked from Times Square Station to Intrepid (along W 44th St) on a Saturday morning this past December and felt perfectly safe. The area between 9th and 10th Ave was very picturesque - a tree-lined street with a lot of restored Brownstones. We had breakfast at the Pom Pom Diner on the corner of W 45th St and 11th Ave - thought it was a great choice for a quick bite.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to walk to Intrepid?

That TV show called Hell's Kitchen started in Los Angeles and filmed there through a few seasons. I thought it was still filmed there. When did it move to NYC?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to walk to Intrepid?

Thanks for all your replies. We're excited to see New York and can hardly wait. It's a small world, isn't it? GreenWhiteBlu - I lived in Fort Rouge for a few years and you're right - no Fort! Bridget from Belfast - I was BORN in Belfast! Thanks again. By the way we watched "Smash" tonight and they were on the Intrepid.

Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to walk to Intrepid?

I recall I was in grad school at Columbia and got a summer job driving a taxi. My parents would have FREEKED had they known . I just fell in love with NYC the moment I came here and driving a taxi seemed like a good way to explore it.

I recall picking up this Italian tourist family up and they wanted to go to the Intrepid. I talked to them about everything under the sun pointing out this and that sighs.

We reached the Intrepide, and the husband, who was sitting with me in the front seat cause his family was in the back seat, pulled out his wallet and paid the fare and then handed me a nickel as a tip I am not kidding

I was bowled over. I could not thank him enough. It was just so funny. He was a nice man and maybe he read the currency wrong but it was just so funny.

I told him there was no need to tip taxi drivers in NYC that he was being too kind. I wonder how that went over with the next taxi he took.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 05:03
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to walk to Intrepid?

My husband, son and I walked to the Intrepid from TS this past December, believe it was a Saturday am, couldn't have felt any safer...I think we took 44th? You will pass through some cute blocks with loads of little eateries. BTW..got our tickets to The Intrepid online and avoided waiting in line with all the others.walked right in and were the first ones on the flight deck!! Enjoyable activity for the whole family.

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor