We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My favorite shopping in NYC, and it's not 5th Ave

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
My favorite shopping in NYC, and it's not 5th Ave

During my wanderings I happened upon SoHo and fell in love. There was every high end label you'd want, plus some little boutiques with affordable prices. Some of the main flagship stores are located there, for example Kate Spade, and the whole area just buzzed with a fun vibe.

I went twice during my trip and there were street vendors each time selling jewelry. I bought a few pieces that were inexpensive and 100% like nothing I've ever seen in a store. What a great memory!

If you're going to go, the main areas are the square in between Broadway, Houston, Bowery and Broome. Be sure to check out the little side alleys with the charming cobblestone streets such as Mulberry and Crosby. Walk up and down Spring, Prince and Broome.

Such a great area!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My favorite shopping in NYC, and it's not 5th Ave

I would consider that to be more NoLita than SoHo, but it is certainly a nice area, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My favorite shopping in NYC, and it's not 5th Ave

Thanks for sharing, Jamiely. It's helping with my trip planning. Did you also spend time in the square in between Broadway, Houston, 6th Ave and Broome? How was that in comparison?

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My favorite shopping in NYC, and it's not 5th Ave

Yeah thanks Jamie, I wasn't aware of this area or what's there but it sounds right up my street and on my second visit this year I wanted to check out some different area's so this area is definitely on my list now :-) I love the sound of the jewellery stalls.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My favorite shopping in NYC, and it's not 5th Ave

New York is known for its high end shopping like Bloomies, Saks, Tiffany's and the like. It is also known for discount shopping like Century 21, Daffy's and DSW.

But, what makes NYC truly special is that there are still lots of small non- chain stores that are great to visit. You mentioned one specific area that is indeed noted for some great shopping - although much is on the higher end. Glad that you found the street vendors. Yesterday I commented on my wife's earrings and asked where she got them. Her answer was "on the street."

Other great areas to visit include Fifth Ave - but not in Manhattan - in Park Slope Brooklyn. Lots of boutiques selling clothing and accessories. Along with tons of bars and restaurants.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My favorite shopping in NYC, and it's not 5th Ave

I love the street vendors for merchandise all over the city...when we lived there (for almost 30 years) it became an honored tradition to have one of my gifts for that year to come from the streets...and I still treasure them..

I would also second BrooklynMel's comment about Park slope for small boutique shopping...

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My favorite shopping in NYC, and it's not 5th Ave

I know I'm a hopeless dinosaur, but "Nolita" makes me want to stab myself in the eye. Ditto for "FiDi," "BoCoCa," "SoHa," and other idiotic quasi-acronymic neologisms developed in the past ten years. As I said, I know I'm on the losing side of this fight.

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My favorite shopping in NYC, and it's not 5th Ave

I'm with you on the losing end of that battle!

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My favorite shopping in NYC, and it's not 5th Ave

I'm glad this has been helpful! It was such a charming area with cobblestone alleyways. I spend literal hours just winding up and down the roadways without really caring which direction or where I was going. I took the subway both times and there are a number of stops that put you there. Good lunch restaurants too!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My favorite shopping in NYC, and it's not 5th Ave

I'm just a tourist, but I tend to lump all those neighborhoods into "lower Manhattan." I love the area described in the first post and its surrounds.

10. Re: My favorite shopping in NYC, and it's not 5th Ave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 10:17